First quick ride on the KH

Anything about Ariels
JohnLay

Re: First quick ride on the KH

Postby JohnLay » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:09 pm

Thank you Simon,
That could be helpful, the one I have marked EMGO is only about 62mm tall, some I have seen are up to 80mm, way too much.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:27 pm

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:39 pm

Found one of mine to check:
Champion COF 103101S Citroen - length approx 75mm

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:05 pm

Want to know anything about Ariel's, ask here it seems. Thank you everyone, got the correct filter now.

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:37 pm

Some little time back someone suggested I check the saddle front mounting because of a tendency for the bike "wallowing" on uneven surfaces. Well I did check, first upon taking of the fuel tank I found the fixing bolts although drilled to be " lock wired" they hadn't been and as a result one of the had gone missing. On the saddle there were two curved plates bolted to the saddle nose, or rather there should have been, of the four c/s sewers (two each side) only two had nuts on, both on the same side, the other plate just waving in the breeze. Will be making some new plates up as the existing set-up is slightly "nose down" and a little low for me. Set up by the previous owner to suit himself, but who was probably a different shape to me.

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:10 pm

First the saddle, remove the original fixing plates (somewhat bent) and fabricate a new taller set.

New and old fixings, new upper, original below. Made from 3x20mm flat strip. The shape formed by "forging" ie. getting them hot and hitting with a big hammer. Given a coat of paint and fitted. Now of course I have to lift up the rear of the saddle as well, a case of one of those "five minute jobs" that ends up taking days!

JohnLay

Postby JohnLay » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:14 pm

Having got the saddle back on time to take the bike for another ride. Fixing the saddle nose certainly improved thing. every thing feels more stable now, the rear of thre saddle could do with going up a little more I think - the back of the saddle is hitting the rear mudguard some times, but I had fitted to longest pieces of studding that I had to hand. Seemed however to have another problem now, a rather nasty rattling noise from the rear end, especially on the "over-run".

Looking at the drive chain I noticed that there are "witness marks" on the chain, clearly been hitting something. However i also noticed that the chain was quite slack, maybe that's the cause, allowing the chain to move about more than it normally would.

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Either hitting the chainguard or back of the primary case.

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

Return to “Ariel Talk”