4G Handlebar Mounts and Chaincases

Anything about Ariels
John.reader

4G Handlebar Mounts and Chaincases

Postby John.reader » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:17 am

If I could just ask a couple of questions,

Can anyone tell me which way up the rubber handlebar mount should go on a 4G. At first glance it looks symmetrical but actually it is not, and it will fit either way. I assume that it goes the way as shown in the picture, with the pat number on top, or is this a cunning way of being able to adjust the handlebar height.
Following advice on this forum I have obtained a set of mounting rubbers from Jiri Horace in Czechoslovakia so hopefully the bars won’t slip round.
I have just spent the last two days making the missing bottom clamps that you can see in the picture, hard work but worth it.

Second question, can anyone tell me which of the two primary chain case rear halves is the correct one for a 1937 4G, the one with the rounded edge, or the square edge one. I suspect that the square one is correct, as I also have a 1951 Mk1 Square, and that has the rounded one fitted, so I’m guessing that the square one is correct for the pre war model, but if anyone could confirm that I would be grateful.

Many thanks, John.
Attachments
IMG_2383.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 4G Handlebar Mounts and Chaincases

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 pm

The handlebar mount goes the other way up with the circular groove against the top of the steering stem. If you put the mount on the way you have it, you will have problems of conflict with the clock in the tank panel - which you will also get if you have the rubber mounts for the tank incorrect.

I think the square edge primary case is correct because this is what was on my 1948 4G. What is correct for 1937 I don't know for certain, but what I do know is that 99.99% of Ariel owners don't know either!
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

John.reader

Postby John.reader » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:10 am

Hello Paul, and thank you for your kind reply, that is just the information that I needed. I will fit the handlebar mount the other way up, and use the square edged primary chain case. As I said above, I managed to get a pair of the modified handlebar rubbers from Jiri Horace just before Christmas, which was just as well as I see that he has put on his web site that he can no longer accept orders from the UK so I got mine just in time. Hopefully this will be sorted out eventually. Thank you once again for your help. Kind regards, John.

charvey

Postby charvey » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:32 pm

Hi
Regards rubber mounted handlebars even with the rubbers and washers mine still moved a bit under braking so I drilled and tapped a hole in the underneath of the h/bars and put a very small screw in there which comes up against the mount,before that the bars seemed to move over the mounting bracket so You have to work out where to put the screw its been in 15 years plus and has not moved since and it hasn't weakened the bar as the hole and screw is very small and the Ariel has had some very hard braking at times, Regards Clive.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:08 pm

Original bars after 36 (OTA) had a screw to limit bar rotation (downwards at the grips) They can still move a fair distance in the other direction though. The rubber mounts were discontinued early in the war with the W/NG to use direct clamping. Nev

Return to “Ariel Talk”