New Ariel 350 NG owner

Anything about Ariels
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: New Ariel 350 NG owner

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:48 am

Hi Andrus,
I am pressing the 1939-1946 numberplateholder, not the lights, there has been a lot writing about this light both in the cheval as on this site.
The adverted lights are close but missing a red top lucas glass, so you can see it's working.

Andrus.Luuding

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Brenton, Yes indeed. Have gone through lots of pictures on the web but havent seen such triangle on other bikes just yet, just on one of the templates from Danish web page but that was for '39 OG. So there is some reasearch to be done. Thanks for info on speedo and trouble light. Speedo is with 140 km/h scale which probably makes it even more valuable. Hopefully will get it to work with new speedo cable.
As for the rear light there are few option around. With red dot light and without. Found also this page: http://s-v-c.co.uk/category/indicators/

Adrie, I understood from Draganfly that Ariel lights came without this tell tale red light on top? Havent received my copy of Cheval yet so have to wait with that one :(...
Thanks!

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:55 pm

This is a fantastic find.Do not spoil it by restoring it,all my motorcycles look like this,and so many oeople love to see them,there are lots of shiny restored bikes about ,and very nice too,but not many unrestored.new parts can be aged by salty water,very corrosive so dont leave them in for long, many thanks good luck.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 am

Very, very nice Ariel !! keep it that way, only cleaning and repairs!
To many original Ariels have been lost for ever due to owners wanting 'better then new'
This is how my '45 NG looked after I dragged it out of the farmhouse where it stood since 1963.
Kopie van Ariel NG barnfresh.jpg

A few bits missing but nothing serious.
It's a lovely machine and I use it regularly as a ride to work .
Kopie van ARIEL NG 1945.jpg

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:38 am

Just noticed the talk about the rear light.
at a large classic car show held in Maastricht in the beginning of this year I saw these:
Kopie van Lucas prewar rear lights.jpg
Kopie van Lucas prewar rear lights (1).jpg

Ofcourse these are replica's but they look a bit 'pointier' towards the small end in contrast to the ones I found through the links given earlier in this thread.
I did not see red lenses, but that does not mean he wont have them.
Price is for two, not a bad idea to put two of these on your rear number plate ! the light is O so very tiny....
Now, I remember taking his address details with me, where did I put them............

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:51 am

Found it;

Stafford Vehicle Components Ltd. 53 Kepler, Lichfield Road Industrial estate.
Tamworth, Staffordshire, B79 7XE
0044 (0)182767714 e-mail: info@s-v-c.co.uk
http://www.s-v-c.co.uk

Andrus.Luuding

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi Vincent,
Your NG looks great. On mine think somebody has tried to "refresh" the paintjob on fenders and some pats of frame by brush etc so its not looking very original at close up but well one of these days will try to clean up few bits and see how it will be.
Thanks for info on rear light, SVC is the one that was already mentioned in this tread should. Still confused if there should or shouldnt be this tell tale light...
Thanks, Andrus

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Ah, yes youre right, wasnt paying attention -again-
But I think it should have this dot, it's handy .
Without a dot you could reach back with your foot to see if it shines on it but I dont recommend that 'at speed' or actually I dont recommand that at all...
On my NG I have fitted a much later Lucas L564 with LED lights in it. nice & bright.

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Andrus, yes, the posts I have read say the tell tale light should be there.
If you are careful, you can get a good finish from old enamel. Touch ups are part of the story of the bike.

Vincent, how was this bike stored? Any bike I have seen stored in a shed for years has decidedly more rust, oops Patina than yours.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Andrus.Luuding

Postby Andrus.Luuding » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi Roy, Thanks for info on the light. Have seen some pics of restored bikes with chromed tail light body, in my opinion it should be black enamel. Do you happen to know what it was back in the days?
As for touch up, well yes touch ups are part of these bikes history but if its done by someone who is not very skilled with brush there will be a mess. In some places i can see the paint has had some sort of chem. reaction with old enamel and its all like tiny bubbles etc :((. Unfortunately Out at a job right now but will get home by the end of next week and will try to remove touch up paint in some areas at first. Dont think it will come out very nice but its a start.

Vincent, Thanks for warning, I think worst things have been tried on a moving bike than checking tail light with your foot... like trying to show off and taking both hands off the bar when steering damper is made tight... and then hitting tight turn... Not recommended either :).
LEDs would be one option to make light brighter and nowadays they can be fitted into anything.

Have same question as Roy about your bike storage, must have been one of those airtight sheds... :)

Return to “Ariel Talk”