2 Stroke picture of the day Uttoxeter Bike Show

Anything about Ariels
Roger James
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

2 Stroke picture of the day Uttoxeter Bike Show

Postby Roger James » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:46 am

Good Morning,

Here is , 2 Stroke Picture of the day, taken at the VJMC Uttoxeter Bike Show in 2008.
This show on Uttoxeter Race Course had been an annual event for five years running and had become a popular show in July for displaying the Ariel 2 Stroke motorcycles and the opportunity of having a rummage around the autojumble, sadly last year the show didnt take place due to the difficult economic conditions and lack of availabe dates to hold the show.
No news at the moment as to whether the show will be on in 2013.

The show stand during the years that the show was on was always well supported by owners of Leader and Arrows and was simply achieved by friends ringing around and asking fellow enthusiasts whether they wanted to display their bike, the attached photograph shows the response and still doesnt show all of the Leaders on display on the right hand side.

Jess
Attachments
Uttoxeter Show 2008.JPG
Uttoxeter Bike Show 2008

robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby robin.parker » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:15 am

No shortage then!
I don't expect that makes them cheap, does it?
Robin.

Roger James

Re: 2 Stroke picture of the day Uttoxeter Bike Show

Postby Roger James » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:56 am

Hello Robin,

Definately no shortage of bikes, but the good old days when you could pick them up cheaply for a tenner as I used to are long gone, tidy examples are often advertised now for thousand of pounds..

You can pick up a restoration project fairly cheaply but like all motocycles being rebuilt these days, parts and labour (if needed) make it an expensive business thats reflected in the asking price if sold on.

Jess
Attachments
Workshop.JPG
Play room at James Towers

john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 2 Stroke picture of the day Uttoxeter Bike Show

Postby john.nash » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:30 am

Nice bit of axminster there .... :D

Seriously, that is alot of two-strokage ...
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

keith.hodgenia
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith.hodgenia » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:58 am

These two stroke items are great. I didn't know anybody with an arrow or leader back in the sixties/ seventies, so they have always been a bit of a mystery to me. Am I right in thinking that the innards of the engines of the fast racers use a lot of TZ type technology? Keith.

Roger James

Postby Roger James » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:46 am

Hello Keith,
Indeed there are some Japanese parts used in these race tuned engines to improve reliability and performance, the crankcase is usually altered to take twin carbs, Mikuni carbs now instead of Amal, the Ariel crankshaft is still used but machined to take the larger diameter con rod pins for Suzuki or similar con rods that also have needle roller little end bearings, gearboxes are fitted with Nova 6 speed gearboxes, still in production but cost £2000 plus vat and another popular improvement is the fitting of a Newby belt drive clutch... Alloy barrels are used that have steel liners fitted during the machining progress, this opens up the option of a choice of pistons to use as the liners that can be machined appropriately, Suzuki and Honda pistons with a single ring and boost port at rear are popular fittings. Cylinder heads are retained as the basic design is satisfactory usually just receiving a skim.
Going back just over 50 years even Ariel were making changes and improvements to their race tuned engines, in particular 1961 was a busy year for the Development Department, the Despatch Records show a number of Arrows leaving the factory with what they called, Special Engines. Ariel were turning out ported crankcases and barrels, fitting 4 Speed Close Ratio gearboxes, Alpha Racing crankshafts that had Vespa con rods and Dykes pistons. Regards. Jess

robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby robin.parker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:07 am

STOP IT!!
It's all too interesting and I can see myself getting hooked (again)
I had an Arrow long ago, being a silly boy, I swapped a fairly decent, allegedly ex-works, 350 Trials Bullet for an Arrow that nearly ran, I'm holding my head in my hands between typing the odd word.
Regards,
Robin.

admin

Re:

Postby admin » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:15 am

robin.parker wrote: I'm holding my head in my hands between typing the odd word..

:D :D :D

Seriously, although prices are up on 2-strokes they are not seen (rightly or wrongly and at the moment) as more desireable that 4-strokes and it might be the time to buy ?
EBAY seems to have alot more 2-stroke bits than 4-stroke as well ?
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:49 am

Can't believe the difference between two stroke axminster and the plastic backed oily brown stuff for four strokes!
Nice shed Jess (bikes too). I love a good shed photo.
I saw John Ellis post recently.. Are we being invaded by 'strokers? Should we take precautions?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

keith.mettam

Postby keith.mettam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:17 am

Nothing wrong with strokers Brenton ! Love them ! Just picked up a Suzuki T20 that I'm presently re-furbing, brilliant little bikes. Wish I had one back in the 60s when I was a teenager mate, although I do remember also hankering after an Ariel Arrow then. Funds were very limited so I ended up with a 150 Villiers engined Excelsior. Soon after that I started work, took and passed my bike test then bought a 500 Dommie twin for £25..............happy days !
Keep those piccys coming Roger, particularly the racing ones. I remember Mike Hose also being very quick on a 350K4 Honda some years back as well as leaving the field standing on his Arrow racer.

Return to “Ariel Talk”