Question on soldering

Anything about Ariels
RobSawyer

Re: Question on soldering

Postby RobSawyer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Any idea where I can get new olives and nuts for petrol /oil copper pipe unions?
I have some very old (probably silver soldered) shouldered olives that I need to replace, proving very reluctant to part company with the pipe. These have a long-ish (1/4") shoulder onto the pipe. I had a quick word with Draganfly who cannot help. given how common these were in the past I am surprised to be unable to find them. Perhaps everyone uses something different??

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:55 am

Pretty hard to undo silver soldered olives. They would need as much time spent on them as making new ones. You can make olives on a very simple lathe. If you purchase some brass hex and some good "plug" taps, the nuts will be better than 'bought ones". Lots of stuff is getting hard to find. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:01 am

The flare nuts have some unusual threads,you might have to make your own taps.This is not difficult,silver steel is plenty good enough for brass.If you make the nuts and nipples then you could use cycle or brass thread in corresponding parts.Regards John.

Return to “Ariel Talk”