Ariel ride photo's

Anything about Ariels
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Ariel ride photo's

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:43 am

Jess has got me all enthusiastic with the camera!

Some pic's from today's old farts ride. The Model C kept up easily and was awesome! - except for the bit where the nut that holds the float bowl to the carb body came loose.. There was a wee bit of petrol flying around. I wondered why my trouser leg felt wet...

The VG looks and sounds fantastic.

Adrie, thank you. The frame on the HS has a letter B
Attachments
Old farts 1.jpg
old farts 2.jpg
old farts 3.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

adrie.degraaff

Re: Ariel ride photo's

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 am

A very nice VG, the kickstart lever upright as it should be.

I can see 2 small things on these photo's; the rear light should be a little deeper in the plate, the frontsprings not chrome.

Lets give the very original 1954 to; rearmudguard (should have rounded sideflaps?), HS filter.
We are riding these carbs to and keep the originals at home.

chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:55 am

Can't you just say lovely bikes is that so difficult ? its annoying when people say this not right or not original....chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

john.nash

Postby john.nash » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:15 am

chris.vredenbregt wrote:Can't you just say lovely bikes is that so difficult ? its annoying when people say this not right or not original....chris

I'm ok with it.
It's nice to know what isn't right .. although I don't actually care that much; it's the "going" that is more important than the "originality".

What it does allow you to do is to keep an eye out at autojumbles for the "right" bits.
If I waited for the "right" bits, then most of my stuff would be stuck in the garage partially completed.

Big fan of concentrics.
They are wayyyyyy cheaper new, than an original (if they make one), and then fit straight on and work.
Gary Baker hates me for it. ;)
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:05 am

That's Ok Chris. Thanks.
Thanks Adrie.
This was the most bikes we have had all year. It's just a social ride, not a formal club one. I think all of us are VVMC members. Most are also Ariel Register members. I think the register is aligned with the AOMCC in some way. I'm not sure.
The owner of the VG - which he said doesn't have the correct numberplate holder - brought his son - on the trail bike. It was great to have a young bloke with us. The son got some instructions about the controls and a ride on a proper bike - as did mine yesterday.
I got pestered with texts from my son today, asking how the bike was running... Perhaps he sees himself as a future owner???

The NH is actually a KH chassis. I remember this bike from my teens, in the hands of the previous owner who did the conversion.

The VG has VH internals and sounds mechanically fantastic. Just whirring away and went really well. It really is a lovely bike. I don't get why people convert them to VH specs. Black (or green) paint and fishtails is at least as nice as red.

The square four also sounded really nice. I think is about a '53. He didn't stay with us.

There was a red bike there from some other english marque ;) . Not sure about it. It fell back and didn't sound proper like an Ariel.

As for concentrics - yes, putting the original away isn't a bad idea.
John, I agree. There's a Keihin that looks pretty good too. I'm planning to give one a go on the VH. It also has the correct flange mount.
Attachments
stevo.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

chris.vredenbregt

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:00 am

My point is that people always have comment on the not original parts and forget the whole picture of a lovely bike.
I am sure that Ardie does not meant to be annoying, but the same happened to me 3 years ago with my G-special on the annual. I have worked 3 years on it and made several parts myself sometimes not to the original specs , but buying a replica in the right specs for good money doesn't make it original if you know what I mean.
I have seen people on this forum making stunning bikes with there own hands and skills, and let's face it the parts we need are not on the shelf anymore so if we can bring a bike on the road again with not original parts that is amazing my new imperial is ready now and far from original but I like it and so do others.
,sorry that I am writing down my frustration....chris
Attachments
speedy 2012 009kl.jpg
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:06 am

Im allways amused when some 12yr old comes up and tells you that the tanks wrong.I say the tanks right,its the bikes wrong,that stuffs them up.Or someone says the tanks wrong,I need one like that.Regards John.

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:20 am

Chris I know your (Harry) story, if I buy an Ariel the first thing I do is show it to the peaple who know and if someting is wrong look for the right part on the next jumble, that's the nice part of this hobby.
It's also working the other way, one example; when my VHA was restored John Mitchell told me that the BSA numberplate holder shouldn't be on it (was on when bought), after same years I found that most 1953 Ariels had infact a BSA plateholder and showed this to John.

Man are hunters, (for the missing bits).
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

admin

Re:

Postby admin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:27 am

chris.vredenbregt wrote:My point is that people always have comment on the not original parts and forget the whole picture of a lovely bike.
I am sure that Ardie does not meant to be annoying, but the same happened to me 3 years ago with my G-special on the annual. I have worked 3 years on it and made several parts myself sometimes not to the original specs , but buying a replica in the right specs for good money doesn't make it original if you know what I mean.
I have seen people on this forum making stunning bikes with there own hands and skills, and let's face it the parts we need are not on the shelf anymore so if we can bring a bike on the road again with not original parts that is amazing my new imperial is ready now and far from original but I like it and so do others.
,sorry that I am writing down my frustration....chris

That New imperial is hopelessly incorrect
I think you should swap for my perfectly correct D14 bantam with period "patina" ... ;)
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:42 am

On the annual rally they are giving cubs for originality.

Return to “Ariel Talk”