What oil for 1955 Ariel Huntmaster

Anything about Ariels
Davidmeachen
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

What oil for 1955 Ariel Huntmaster

Postby Davidmeachen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Hi everyone
The recent high winds blew my "Chopped" Huntmaster over and nearly all the oil from the tank was spilt
The oil that was in the tank was for "Classic" bikes but I've forgotten what oil it was. Can anyone advise which engine oil would be best and if possible, cotact details of a UK supplier?
I did have all these details on my laptop but that has given up the ghost and gone to the tip.
Any help, as usual, would be greatfully accepted
Regards to all
Dave

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:15 pm

Mono grade 40sae would be fine. But should you have an oil filter fitted as have then a cheap 20-50 I get it mine from asda. I got some recently and it cost 16.00 for 5 ltrs.

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:39 pm

Hello Dave,
I use Morris Golden Film SAE50 monograde oil in my old bikes. According to Morris it is "carefully formulated for classic, vintage and veteran motorcycles ..." Check out their web site for more info and contact details. www.morrislubricants.co.uk
Regards, Chris
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

keith.mettam

Postby keith.mettam » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Dave,
Like Chris I run Morris Golden Film SAE50 monograde oil in my NH, as Chris says it is specially formulated for Classics. Not only do I use it in the engine but also in the primary chaincase, gearbox and forks as well ! Seems fine to me, more than happy with it. The bike also has an external oil filter. In the winter months SAE40 monograde is recommended for the engine. I used to use their Racing Two Stroke Oil many moons ago when I raced a GT250 Suzuki and RD400 Yam........another very fine product of theirs.

Knud.Degnbol

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:35 pm

If Ariel had known multigrade oils, I'm sure they would have recommended it for engines with shellbearings like yours.
Follow the link.
https://www.missionperformanceproducts. ... tory.shtml

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:47 pm

Dave:I seem to remember sae 30 for Huntmasters; might be 40 for summer and 30 for winter.

It might be OK with a 20-50, with all due respect to Steven I wouldn't use a cheap one, I'd need an API spec on it - SE minimum. I've been using Comma Premium 20w50 in my old BM (air-cooled twin) for years (mainly because that's the only 20-50 with an API spec that I can buy over the counter locally), that bike does a lot of miles and it's fine on it.
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Davidmeachen
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Davidmeachen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:41 am

Thank you Knud and Simon.
I've already ordered the Morris Golden film SAE 50 so will see how that goes but will keep your suggestions in mind for future reference; plus of course the suggestions are now recorded here for me and others to check at anytime in the future
Regards to all
Dave

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:18 am

The critical part in these motors is the cam lobes and followers, so you need an oil with friction modifiers to stop them scuffing. Some modern engine oils are NOT suitable for gearboxes as the old castrol XL, XXL etc were.. The polimers they add to make it a multigrade don't do much but alter the thinning out with temperature that all oils experience. I'm not against multigrades but the straight oil is more "OIL". If you take it easy on your bike till it warms up the thicker monogrades are probably OK. I wouldn't put "Home" brand oils in a motorbike. If you are a bit concerned something like Shell Superbike 4, should do it. Nev

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 am

Engines can't read the labels on the oil tin :D but they do like regular changes though, every 1000miles for my Huntmaster and after 10000miles or so since SRM rebuilt my engine it seems to be getting better.
I de-coked after 7000miles to stop a little pinking (successful) and everything looked very good. Tappets still spot on.
But I must say it's not the oil that SRM recommend. They say that a straight 40 is used without any filter.
Maybe the answer comes in a few years time when I have done 50000miles. I'll report back every 10000 miles

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:59 am

I think we should hold you to that Steven and expect the 10K report! If you forget, 20K is Ok.
This is the first time I've seen more than 5 posts about oil that haven't turned into a "discussion".
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Return to “Ariel Talk”