Touring on a VB

Anything about Ariels
Rob.Bassett

Touring on a VB

Postby Rob.Bassett » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:36 pm

I plan (hope!)to do some long distance touring on the VB once it is on the road.Any touring is of course long distance from here in Orkney.. :D I wondered if any regular VB riders could give me an idea of the fuel consumption I could expect,and what sort of cruising speed/average could be achievable.Of course I have the big shaft drive flat twin for high speed long distance work.....only joking,its a Ural....I avoid motorways whenever possible and have a fair degree of "mechanical sympathy".Any hints or advice (except "don't do it)welcome.Rob.

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Touring on a VB

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 pm

My friend took his 39vb over to Germany for our annual rally , I suppose he was getting around 50mpg whereas my 58vh did about 60, so not much in it. We did a little on the autobahns and he managed to keep to around 50mph although really it was a little on the slow side for such a road,. Have you ever seen a trucks radiator ornament? That's what he looked like from my mirror!

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:37 am

The VB has about the same power as a good 350 OHV but pulls better so the gearbox doesn't have to be worked so much. I don't like to see a SV sitting on high speed as I reckon they are hard on exhaust valves. If you can set up the exhaust valve to rotate slowly as it goes up and down this will help to keep the valve from distorting. A wiggly jigger under the valve spring will do this and use a real good valve and a bit extra valve clearance. To check if your valve clearance is adequate go up a steep hill with the valve cover off and a fair bit of throttle and then stop and check the clearance existing quickly. I had an M20 that wouldn't pull and this found the problem. The valve clearance was disappearing when the valve got hot. Some later metals expand more than the earlier alloys. Nev

brenton.roy

Re:

Postby brenton.roy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:34 am

nevhunter wrote: A wiggly jigger under the valve spring will do this ....Nev

Hi Nev, can you explain?

Also, congratulations on your goldness..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:10 am

It is interposed between the valve spring and the main casting. I only know it has been used on some Ford performance engines. nev

PeterW
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby PeterW » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 am

I used to get nearer to 60 mpg out of mine after I switched to solo gearing :¬)

john.nash

Postby john.nash » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:47 am

My 1947 was a VB, before it got a VH top end.

45mph is really comfortable. 50mph is ok. 55 it feels urgent at and thereafter the tingly vibrations set in and it starts getting hot and bothered. Not that it will accelerate much there.
My friends BSA B31 350OHV was faster. However, the VB has it on the hills; it'll go up those with no trouble.

Probably not the ideal vehicle for long distances, as you're dicing with the lorries at those speeds, with no ability to get away .
However, plenty do distance on them; so what do I know :D

Manual reckons 65mph top speed and 70-75mpg:
http://www.arielownersmcc.co.uk/members ... ingles.pdf
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:41 am

A local rally on a country road held up a truckie .He passed them nearly wiping them all out,locked up the trailer brakes and jackknifed across the road,and jumped out with an iron bar and told them what he d do if they ever held him up again.They were doing 60.Happy motoring,John.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 pm

Strewth

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:58 pm

John,
So that was it? Was this murderous thug reporrted? If he wasn't he should ahve been. No one who has such problems with anger management should be let loose with a paper cup let alone an HGV!!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Return to “Ariel Talk”