Aus Black Ariel rally

Anything about Ariels
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Aus Black Ariel rally

Postby adrie.degraaff » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:52 pm

brenton.roy wrote:This would make an interesting street view Adrie!

Where there is water.......

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Brenton
Well done. I hope the return journey is as enjoyable as the rest has been.
David

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 am

Those kangaroos are around mostly during the evening. They are in plague proportions. the colour of them melds into the grass and after you have had a few near misses you sort of get the "jitters". Ride safely guys. Are you on a deadline to be "home". At 90 KPH you feel the potholes. I've a few "flats" in the rear wheel rim of the W/NG due to that. Doesn't help the back either. Nev

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Paul Slootheer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 am

Well done! Have a safe return journey.
Paul ;)

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:22 pm

Thanks everyone.
See today's photo's. it's been a big day from Moree to Burke. The terrain is certainly changing.
The VH is running really well, but the Model C has had some minor issues. The muffler / rear stand came loose - stripped bolt. I think the primary chain is causing too much vibration. A couple of months ago, I put a ball bearing into the breather which oils the primary, but the chain is now too dry. I took it out tonight. I also took a link out of the chains, at the rear wheel. The chains. will both be worn out by the time we get home.
I have riveted a growing split in the front guard. I think the weight of the front stand is a problem.
The oil pump must have bedded in, as it is now pumping seriously well, even after I shut the motor off.
Mostly, I'm so impressed with how how the bike is going, and how strong it is on the road. Awesome, Paul!
Nev, we need to be home by the weekend. Slower would be better, but without lights, riding time is limited. Squeezing miles into the day isn't as easy as I'd hoped. Every day has little problems that take time. This morning, it was a clutch screw that undid itself into the case, caught and made it seem as the clutch was gone..
I've been impressed with the numbers of roos and emu's on the side of the road. I've never seen so many emu's.
it'll be goats soon, as we get nearer Cobar.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:15 pm

Brenton is Cobar aprox. in the middle towards Adelaide? When you are back I reckon you did at least 4000 KM's, that's quite a achievement for a 1927 machine (and his rider...) is'nt it? Apart from some minor things like chains and so on it is good to hear it is going well engine wise!
Cheers, Paul ;)

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:15 pm

Well done Brenton! What an amazing trip for you and Model C....I'm very impressed with both you and the bike...I can barely make it from East Sussex into Surrey or Kent.
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Brenton
There is no shortage of roos or emus around Cobar and apart from adding ferral goats to the road hazards, there is also a lot of ferral camels to the NW of Cobar, although you probably will not see them if travelling on the Barrier Highway.
Enjoy the rest of the trip
David

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:32 am

Well done to you and traveling mates. Something to bring a smile and stories over a Coopers for many years ahead.
When you have time in the future would be good to hear what you learned about taking the bikes on long travel, their preparation and if you would do anything different.
Riding to the 2014 Australian Ariel Rally at Mt Gambier in March next year will be a breeze for you now.
Safe travels.
Brett

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks all.
We're camped on the side of the road about 60km cobar side of wilcannia. Can't believe there's signal.
A bolt has vibrated through my air mattress, so it'll be an interesting night. Luckily, we have red wine..
The chains are really worn, so the model C is vibrating badly. I'll try to get them aligned better in the morning.
The VH is awesome. Rode it today - it's as smooth as. Running really well.
Brett, I think rule #1 is to have someone with you to share the disasters.. Simon is pretty laid back, a good mechanic and can laugh when stuff goes wrong.
Attachments
image.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Return to “Ariel Talk”