Aus Black Ariel rally

Anything about Ariels
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Aus Black Ariel rally

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:08 am

For it's age, it was a spectacular bike Nev. Actually, they both were. I haven't written much about the VH, but will.
We had to keep up a fairly good pace. With no lights, and required daily 'Fettling' and breakdown time, we were limited in the number of riding hours. We had to average 400km a day to get there. We originally planned around having the ute as a backup vehicle (where the spare chain was going to be Adrie!) and without this, we were really limited in what we could take. Adrie is right. Knowing what spares to take is a real problem.
I bought a thing called an Airhawk seat cover. Unless it was a serious bump, you would never know it was there. They completely take away the vibration, so no numb bum, which seriously extends riding time - and enjoyment. I was a doubter, so bought a cheap second hand one off gumtree, but am now a convert.

By the way Nev, there is a V twin Ariel (king dick motor) coming on your pre 1918 ride next April.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:31 am

Will keep an eye out for that. I made a leather covered steel pan seat that fits me OK but have to move around a lot and still get sore rear end. Did you put any "flats in the rear rim on potholes? You can't see them in tree shadows or late in the evening. the early black motors were good performers. A thirty model G goes as fast as any 500 later ( standard). they just got heavier really and enclosed everything. Re the chain I fastidiously applied good chain oil to the primary every 150 kms ( when I refuelled) and the chain did the entire trip without adjustment. I don't doubt you might question that but it's true. There was no dust as it rained most days, and I avoided going off to see places on the dirt side roads. The distance Adelaide- Darwin with a deviation to Ularu is about the same distance as you have just done but we will be doing less KMs each day. Time in the saddle might be the same as some machines are NOT fast. Nev

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:11 am

I have parked the bike and not had a really good look at the rims yet, but I don't think so.
I saw 105kph a couple of times (steep downhill, low throttle, worried about the valve springs). I'd reckon this is about it for a Model C. I know E's were advertised as doing 85mph, but that is a small leap from 65, with just a better cam and carby.
85 mph in that ('27) frame would be one of the most frightening experiences of your life, well mine anyway! Even more so for 1926. It must have been like a H1 Mach3 Kwaka. Widowmaker..

I paid $65 for the seat - and it's worth 10 times that. It completely cures soreness. The main reason for stopping was too much coffee.. It's made of rubber like a bike inner tube and has connected air cells. The idea is to only pump it up a little bit. The seating position on the older bikes is pretty good though - at least one advantage.

With no lights, there were several things I didn't see near evening - including one of David's 'roo's. If I ever did this again, I'd have a decent backup headlight.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:15 am

Ones I had forgotten to put primary oil in a 1957 VH, the chain lasted only 1500km.
I first made the tricycle with a breathervalve but took it out again.

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am

adrie.degraaff wrote:Ones I had forgotten to put primary oil in a 1957 VH, the chain lasted only 1500km.
I first made the tricycle with a breathervalve but took it out again.

I'm pretty sure the cause of the chain wear was me putting the ball bearing back into the crank breather. This outlets directly onto the primary chain and the ball halved the amount of oil coming out. The chain was dry, which caused the wear.

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Paul Slootheer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:12 am

Nice video Brenton, engine of the '27 sounds great! I think your average turn of speed is quit impressing for such an old beast considering I took out the inner coils. I never took it over 80 KM's.
Hope you enjoyed the whole adverture. Again Brenton: hats off!!
Cheers, Paul ;)

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks Paul.
The bike is a credit to your workmanship. No wonder it won the prize at the Annual rally.
I did change the gearing a fair bit - two teeth on the primary drive would be 2 1/2 on a later Ariel. 80kph would have been a lot of speed with the 17T!
I think it breathes a little better without the silencer fishtail, but this doesn't make me feel better about losing it.
I was aware of having just outer springs, but it was obviously fine.

The adventure was fantastic. We wondered along the way about how many other pre 1930 bikes would be up for a ride like that - heavily loaded and with no backup.
There's no question about why black Ariels are held such high regard.

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:55 pm

An excellent adventure - all the more so because it ended well with just enough problems to make it a bit of a challenge :D .

Well done to both of you (you'll be wanting to 'push the envelope' again before long ;) ).

Those are fantastic roads for motorcycling :mrgreen: It looks a great place to live (but then, so does Scotland on film :lol: ).

Thanks for letting up share the trip in some small way.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby barry.swanson » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:52 am

...congratulations Brenton...did you ever consider O-ring chain and Scott oilers?

jadearling

Postby jadearling » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:59 am

I really enjoyed following that Brenton, I guess Oz is a bit different to UK but it gives me inspiration and more confidence for a much smaller trip I am about to take, old but not Ariel!

Return to “Ariel Talk”