Ariel tricycle

Anything about Ariels
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:42 pm

Apart from Steven's somewhat odd proposal to Adrie to come and look at his new tent during the rally, (or perhaps I also misinterpeted that one too) ,
I completely missed the point where / when / why the mention of a watercooled Ariel 2 - 1/4 came into this topic.

Can someone enlighten me please ?

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Ariel tricycle

Postby leon.mitchell » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:25 am

I did some more reading on the photo and the trial last evening. Very interesting. The photo was taken at Whitehall, London, 6.45 PM 12th May 1900, as the competitors returned home from the Trial. On seeing a better copy of the photo, it's clear that the second car is not another Panhard but a Napier, said to be the very first, which is surrounded by a who's who of the early British motoring industry, including Harvey du Cros Jnr. It was driven by S. F. Edge (an Australian) in the Trial. Anyone interested in the trial could seek out the book "Thousand Mile Trial" by Elizabeth Bennett.

Below are images of the Ariel Tricycle, the Ariel Tricycle and Whippett Attachment, and the Ariel Quadricycle.

Leon
Attachments
ariel-quad-1000-miles-trial.jpg
c1900 Ariel Quadricycle
ariel-whippet-1000-miles-trial.jpg
c1900 Ariel Tricycle, with Whippett Attachment, 1000 Miles Trial
ariel-tricycle-1000-miles-trial.jpg
c1900 Ariel Tricycle, 1000 Miles Trial

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:56 am

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:I completely missed the point where / when / why the mention of a watercooled Ariel 2 - 1/4 came into this topic.

Leon Mitchell has given a date to the picture so all watercooled engines are later, I think even as late as Aug. 1903.

Thank you Leon for these nice pictures.

I can see now if I made restoration mistakes and there are no Ariel gears or free engine yet on the tricycles on this date so I don't have to make it.
Also the gear connecting holes in my crankcase are made later as in experimenting.

In the first "The Motorcycle" of March 1903 is a racing picture of that same bearded man on a big tricycle competing against a OHV v4 from France.

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm

leon.mitchell wrote:Below are images of the Ariel Tricycle, the Ariel Tricycle and Whippett Attachment, and the Ariel Quadricycle.

After a good look, there is only the quadricycle and the Whippett machine before and after the run.
I can't find a thelltale to know if there is an aluminium crankcase on one of them.
The quadricycle has the new (1900) tank badge but no gears so they came later.

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby leon.mitchell » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Well spotted! I should have recognised the leather tote bags strapped to the handlebars of the attachment. The bottom photo labelled "tricycle" in fact shows the Tricycle + attachment at the end of the trial. This photo is just a detail from a better copy of the photo that begun the thread.

Both the Quad (No. 3 in the trial) and the Tricycle + Attachment (No. 4) were amongst the "Trade Entries", so these machine could be expected to be close to latest specification for 1900. The Quad was entered by "Ariel Motor Co., Birmingham" and driven by well-known Ariel identity J. W. Stocks. The tricycle + attachment was entered by "Ariel Motor Tricycle, 15A Baker St, London" (not far from 221B Baker St!!!), no doubt a distributor or agent.

An Ariel Tricycle was entered in the "Private Entries", ridden by A. J. Wilson Esq. Wilson was an experienced pioneer motorcyclist: he wrote the early editions of the well-known book "Motor Cycles and How to Manage Them". (My 1903 edition is the sixth, said to be "completely rewritten". His book is mentioned in a report on the trial so the first edition must have been 1900 or earlier.) Unfortunately his Ariel Tricycle began giving trouble after Manchester, and although he continued through Kendall to Carlisle it expired soon after, despite numerous road-side rebuilds. His plan was to train the bike back to Birmingham (the Ariel Works no doubt) and carry on to London "by train or motor-car". So no photos of Wilson's Ariel Tricycle at the finish!

Leon

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:08 am

leon.mitchell wrote:entered by "Ariel Motor Tricycle, 15A Baker St, London"

I have the name of the bearded man at home.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 am

Here's another one from the French website, and probably from the book mentioned.
As all vehicles are pretty clean (shiny wheelrims) this is maybe before the 1000 mile trail started?
It does looks like another venue as here there are no floorboards as in the picture with the gents on the Whippet Attachment.
It looks like some sort of Sportshall, in a effort to keep things clean the wheels are placed on planks.
I would have placed them under the engines !
image027.jpg

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby leon.mitchell » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:29 am

Vincent - your second photo is from the first night's stop at Bristol. The vehicles were garaged in the Drill Hall. This was the pattern in each of the cities from London to Edinburgh and back: where available the vehicles were assembled and displayed in a large indoor structure. Part of the aim of the Trial was to introduce the motor vehicle to the people of the UK.

Adrie - Bennett's book says of the Ariel/Whippet: "It is possible that Lance Newton drove the Ariel Tricycle 2 1/4 h.p. (petrol driven), with Edwin S. Cheel on the Whippet Trailer Manufactured by Ariel Motor Co Birmingham, Price of the Tricycle alone eighty guineas, with trailer GBP100. Every part is made in England, and the workmanship of the whole machine is exquisite. The trailer was detachable." I don't know if the photo shows Newton and Cheel.

The young lad in the photo is St. John Nixon, age 14, who completed the 1000 miles in the Napier with S. F. Edge as his riding mechanic.

Leon

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:11 pm

What's John Nixon holding in his hand ? not a fizzy can ?

leon.mitchell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby leon.mitchell » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:26 am

Good question. In a good copy of the first photo in the thread he's holding the same item!

Elizabeth Bennett speculates that it is a piece of wood that he held on to for the entire trial. The governor on the Napier motor broke early on, so instead of Edge having control of the speed of the motor, Nixon had to control it via a wire attached to the appropriate linkage - perhaps with this piece of wood as a handle? Quite a lot of coordination required.

By the way, young Nixon's first name is one of those English peculiarities: "St. John". It wouldn't be too peculiar if it were pronounced "Saint John", but I think it's more like "Sinjun". Happy to take advice from speakers of the Queen's English. Nixon went on to write a number of well-known books about vintage and veteran cars.

Leon

Return to “Ariel Talk”