Annual & electric start single

Anything about Ariels
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Annual & electric start single

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:53 am

Hello All,

I had a very enjoyable time at the annual, came away with lots of spare parts for those never ending Ariel building jobs.
Top of it all was the Hurricane low fly by, first time ever that I heard one of those in real time, although Herman noted that it was not going at full throttle. I really felt like a small boy in a toy store !!
Only the Saterdays tour was a pain, riders that do not want to apply to the 'follow up' system should go riding on their own!
(and thats what they did!!) It made the whole trip a shambles with Arielist going in all directions.
Anyway , as said, it did not deter me from having a very nice time at the rally.

Now for something else. Did anybody ever wanted (or did) build an electric starter onto a Ariel single ?
Would a Norton starter + it's mechanism -with adjustments ofcourse- do ?
Any thoughts on this ?
As the membership in general is getting closer and closer to hip replacements & walking sticks and indeed my right knee is getting 'a bit' fragile I'd like to find out what and if there are any possibilitys.
I have seen a picture from a elec starter made by Alton in France, a first prototype of a elec starter for a Vincent Comet.

regards, Vincent (aka 'The Dutch Branch')

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:27 am

Hi Vincent,
I don't know how the Norton electric strt would cope.

I had an 850 mark II interstate back in the early eighties and I can say that there is a big difference between kicking over the norton twin and a VH. The NH can be kciked over without the decompressor but the VH is a challenge. if not impossible when in good compression. Another consideration is that the normal battery would not have anything like enough beef and the 60Watt dynamo when runining at 12 Volt would struggle to keep a bigger capacity battery charged except if doing long journeys by day - perhaps this is not a problem though!

My recollection of comments towards the MkIII Commando (which had the electric start) is that is was rather 'Heath Robison' i.e crude and prone to give trouble. However, this said perhaps there is some one who has actually fitted an electric start and can comment from first hand experience.

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Hello Keith, By now the trouble with the MkIII starter are dealt with. A better (stronger) starter motor is available from Norvil and I just saw on the website of Alton that they started to make a starter for the 750cc Norton's that can be retro fitted to all Commando models.
So there is 'something' going on when it comes to having elec starters on Brit iron.
Yes, we all get older but do want to ride !!
How the starter on the Vincent Comet really works I dont know yet, probably they did something to overcome the compression - maybe like on Jap singles where the valve lifter automatically works in connection with the starter motor to get the plot over compression.
On a Comet the valve lifter mechanism works inside the timing case directly on the cam follower, on a Ariel (OHV that is) it is another story.

Vincent

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:38 am

Just a thought as an interim measure.

Could you try a longer kick start lever? It would give you more mechanical advantage and provided it is not too long could still be manageable.

I'd be interested to follow you research.

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Annual & electric start single

Postby Wali.Badger.Taylor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 pm

This is very close to my heart after just having my kickstart hip replaced.
I seem to remember that such an item is available for Velos. I just use this now.
Attachments
IMG_2322.JPG

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Two possibilitys now.......You either stay at home with the Ariel spinning away on this contraption in front of the fireplace, or you have fitted a sidecar to drag it with you.....?
My future looks grim.............

Vincent

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:26 am

Here's a photo of the Norton Alton setup
Another version that spins the clutch outer drum is at this site : http://www.quietpowerdrive.com/QPDhtm/E ... ersion.htm

Somebody a lot smarter than me would need to figure out how this might be fitted...
Attachments
048.jpg
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

john.nash

Re: Annual & electric start single

Postby john.nash » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 am

How about the Enfield method ?
That's a retro fitted mechanism to what is essentially their 50's single ...

My wife will not use the kickstart, so that's always started with the motor.
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

Ah! that's a good suggestion, did not think about that. I'll take a closer look at how it works. Thanks. Vincent

Return to “Ariel Talk”