VH tank from India

Anything about Ariels
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

VH tank from India

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:29 am

Hi folks,

Took the plunge and ordered a 1953 VH tank ('raw' that is no chrome) from India.
Very helpfull guy at the other end of the e-mail line, his name is Parvinder Ahuja aka 'Sunny' .
It took me some time to explain what I wanted exactly and I send him several photo's of the tanktype that I want, now all is underway,
Dont have the tank, yet.....fingers crossed!
I ordered what is called on Ebay a 'Ariel twin plunger model petrol tank raw' but one without the hole for the oil gauge.
A twin tank without the hole for the oil gauge makes it a 1953 VH tank. (this is the last ridgid/plunger frame model and is deeper -holds more fuel- then the '50>'52 models)
I ordered a no chrome one (raw) as '53 VH had no chrome and if anything is wrong with the tank mountings (I read in another topic that only 3 tankholes where in line) I can change that easely.
The Arieltanks you find on Ebay are some SQ4 models with panels and also the KG-KH tank with the hole for a oil gauge.
Apparently they have a 'stock' of original Ariel tanks so you have to explain exactly what you want and Parvinder goes looking.
I know now that they have the WNG and '51 VH originals and perhaps more, just ask & explain by sending him pictures.
On Ebay I found the companys 'Vintageconnexions' 'Royal Crusaders' and Scootershop' , these are all owned by his family .
Most of the stuff they sell is for Enfield but they make petroltanks and some mudguards for BSA and Norton 16H too.
Tank + postage to Holland costs 195,- Euro add the customs and vat it comes to 260,- Euro.
To be continued...........

Vincent

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:09 pm

Vincent,
I am very interested to know how you get on.

I ordered a speedo from a company in India nd it all went horribly wrong. Mainly due to lack of communication, I think. I didnlt lose any money but it was just upsetting for all concerned.

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Vincent.vanGinneke

Re: VH tank from India

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 pm

Hello Keith,
Here some pictures that Parvinder send me earlier.
This is a '51 VH tank that they have as a model to work from.
Showing the measurements is not their strongest point, so I've send them pics of my '51 tank to get the right sizes over to them.
Bytheway, front mounting holes are 5" apart , rear are 6" and in the lenght it's 13".
The pics make me think they really make them on the edge of the pavement, or perhaps in a slightly more sophisticated way ?
Vincent
Attachments
Kopie van Ariel 1951VH tank India (3).JPG
Kopie van Ariel 1951VH tank India (1).JPG
Ariel VH tank

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:01 pm

Oeps, sorry!, it's 6"at the front and 5"at the rear !

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:32 pm

Royal Crusaders are now having a "Ariel new 500cc petrol tank raw" on Ebay # 260854018195.
Yesterday they send me exactly these pictures as it being the tank that I bought, should be over here in two weeks time they say.

vincent

john.nash

Postby john.nash » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 am

Keep us posted as to what it's like.
I emailed him about an early enfield tank as well, but I'll hold off ordering until you have yours
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Tank arrived today, see the pictures.
Hmmmmmm, well , what I think.... From a few steps away it does indeed look like a Ariel tank.
What I actually ordered was a 1953 twin tank but then without the 'second' hole for the oil gauge.
Hoping by doing so I would get a 1953 (one year only) slightly larger capacity tank.
What they have made / sent is actually a 1951/'52 VH tank.
Before I did go to great lengths to explain that I wanted the larger '53 tank and at some point in the e-mail conversation I thought that they understood me, well... not quite.
New VH tank India.jpg
original 1951 tank

New VH tank India (1).jpg

New VH tank India (2).jpg

Note the bolt sticking out from one of the front mounting holes, first in my 1951 tank (Red/Black) and then from the India tank.
You can see that now the front of the tank is too far back and you can see the headstock almost in full.
Moving the tank forward to get the desired position makes ofcourse the India mounting holes in the wrong place.
Am I glad I ordered a non chromed one.... These holes I can rectify by making and welding on new tags.
New VH tank India (3).jpg

New VH tank India (5).jpg

The shape of the sides is not like the Red/Black '51 tank, it does however give the tank more volume (I think)
Looking into the cap hole you see the tunnel rather close to the rim, I will have to be careful not to splash while putting petrol in .
The cap does not fit the hole -yet- the difference is not much , I can solve that.
The two 'tongs' inside the opening are not more then a suggestion ! 'something' should be there the maker probably thought....
I will grind them out and do them again.

All in all the Indian guys did a nice job in regard to the price, I should not moan.
Price was 205,- Euro for tank + postage and 55,- for import & tax, 260,- Euro total.
And they do carry on in the finest & best of British way where the customer is the final inspector ehhhhhh, engineer.

I see that I have to make a second posting to get the other pictures in.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:57 pm

New VH tank India (4).jpg

New VH tank India (6).jpg

New VH tank India (10).jpg

New VH tank India (12).jpg

New VH tank India (13).jpg

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:24 am

Vincent,
Not quite right, but worth the price! You do get what you pay for and at European labour rates I dread to think what it could cost.

My tank was in worse condition than I thought and when I removed the paint I found that it was full of pin holes at the back / bottom. The guys at Hartlepool Radiators did a fantastic job but at a price.

I'm going to post pictures under the members bikes section, if anyone is interested (before and after).

Keep up the good work!!!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Hello Keith, Is the Members bike section the part where you 'leaf' through the pictures by clicking? or did you not put them in yet?

Return to “Ariel Talk”