Anything about Ariels
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Grease nipples on headstock

Postby Keith.owen » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi,
Can anyone advise me on this?

The grease nipples on the headstock of my 1950 VH do not in fact enable grease to be squirted into the ball races, raher they are inboard of the cup and as such any grease will simply fill the void (headstock tube)between the cups without entering the races. Is this an intentional feature of the design or were they just having a bad day when my frame was manufactured?

Keith :mrgreen:
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:40 pm

I think there is supposed to be a felt washer (more like ring) around the stem just below the point where the grease enters from the upper nipple (maybe one above the lower grease point as well). You'd get two smaller voids to fill up intead of one big one...
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 am

Token gesture at best. they are all like that. Treat them as you do wheel bearings and as such can only be greased properly by dismantling. There are some magnificent marine greases available which repel water well. Nev

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Hi Nev,
I thought as much!

I have also heard talk of a dished washer that is supposed to fit between the two lock nuts and the top cone (I don't know where the dust cover fits in). It is said that this washer takes up some of the play as the assembly wears in and is supposed therefore to obivate the need for frequent re-adjustment of the races. I have not however identified this on Drags' drawings /part number listings but they are mentioned in all the books where the forks are mentioned and their merits praised. Does anyone have any idea about this?

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Return to “Ariel Talk”