Help needed on 51 VH500

Anything about Ariels
erniemoore

Help needed on 51 VH500

Postby erniemoore » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi can anybody help,

I am restoring a 51 VH500 which I bought as a complete basket case, the problem I have is that the oil tank does not seem to fit,

the bottom bolt for the tank can go into one of two holes in the bracket, if I try to use the one nearest the rear wheel then there is no room to fit a nut behind it (it Fouls on the gearbox lug) if I try to use the the other, the two oil pipes are too close to the timing case ,

so the question is do I have the wrong gearbox (Burman G107) or the wrong oil tank (5852-35 6 pint)

any help would be greatly appreciated as I just need to sort this, the carb, the seat, the battery, the electrics etc and it might start.

In anticipation

Ernie Moore

john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.nash » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:29 pm

5852-35 is the right part number according to the parts list:
http://www.arielownersmcc.co.uk/members ... sBooks.htm

On my 1947, the oil tank bottom goes to the bolt/stud on the right (closest the engine).
How far out are the oil pipes ? It does take some fiddling to get them into alignment .... there are rubbers that join them to the tank.
Do you have them running to/from the right places ? The feed/return pipes are slightly different ...

Do you need a picture of mine ??
John "Josh" Nash
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

erniemoore

Postby erniemoore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks John for replying,
yes a photo would be very helpful.

with the tank in the "correct" position one of the oil pipes from the tank (outer) is in line with and about 1/2 inch from the magneto gearbox, the rubber tube would be bent
about 70 deg. to join with the pipe from the engine, wouldn't that restrict the oil flow ?

You mention a bolt/stud ? is it a bolt or a stud, is there a spacer between the tank and the bracket .

Regards Ernie

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:57 am

Ernie,
I can send you a picture of the tank and frame for my 1950 VH (when I get home this evening). I think it was in 1952 that they changes the tank to a rounded type.

Your tank should I think have a fixing strap behing the oil filler that clamps it to the frame upper member.

On another subject, is you machine a plunger or rigid?

If it is rigid I would really appreciate it if you could tell me the distance between the fixing centres on th rear mudguard stay. That is the stud on the frame and the tab on the mudgurd.

IRegards,

keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

erniemoore

Postby erniemoore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Hi Keith,
My machine is a plunger, not sure about the strap as I did not dismantle the bike and a lot of the restoration was a lot of guess work but it looks like the
tank bolts directly to the frame through a largish hole with the battery carrier on the other side, some of the bits that came with the bike were wrong or just missing.
sorry couldn't help with the stay

Regards Ernie

john.nash

Re: Help needed on 51 VH500

Postby john.nash » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:56 pm

Mine is a rigid.
I have also replaced the solid metal return pipe with a rubber one. I kept having problems with the rubber T piece (that runs up the rockers) splitting. It now has a plastic one fitted with the rubber pipe.
The rear fitting on the oil tank is the return. You check by blowing gently up the bottom pipe and checking it's venting on it's outlet inside the filler cap.

Fittings on the oil tank
It shares the big nut/bolt with the battery carrier and also has a u clamp around the frame (the threaded holes for the clamp are in the oil tank itself)
Underneath, it has a tab which mounts to the front hole on the engine plate. There is no spacer. The tab off the tank goes hard against the engine plate with a washer/spring washer/nut to hold it.

Hopefully a picture is worth a hundred of my useless descriptions.

Which measurements were you after Keith ? I am being thick and not understanding .... picture ?

19092011254[1].jpg
top fitting

19092011255[1].jpg
bottom fitting

19092011256[1].jpg
oil pipes
John "Josh" Nash
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, ' and piles of rusty scrap ....

erniemoore

Postby erniemoore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi John
It looks like my tank is different to yours, there is no clamp on the left of the tank and no threaded holes just lugs at top and bottom and input/output pipes at bottom right hand corner.

Also the lug on the bottom of your tank is in the first hole next to the gearbox mount, is this a nut and normal bolt or a stud or special bolt. on mine there is no room to put a bolt as it is obstructed by the gearbox lug.

sorry I have tried to post some pics but cant get it to work.

Regards Ernie

admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby admin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Your pictures might be too big.
Mail them to me and I could post them for you.
John Nash
Administrator

admin

Postby admin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:20 pm

Any of these :

Ariel1947parts054.jpg

I think there is a stud on my engine plate, where the oil tank lower tab fits.
I had my tank off for cleaning out t'other day and it wasn't moving
John Nash
Administrator

erniemoore

Postby erniemoore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:34 pm

I will have a look at the parts description on page 50 and 52

Ernie

Return to “Ariel Talk”