Daily Riding Diary on an Ariel

Anything about Ariels
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Daily Riding Diary on an Ariel

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:45 pm

Cheers Alec. Happy New year to yourself and all.

Well here’s my last post for this thread. I’ll start a new one herehttp://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6145 . Certainly gone quick.

My thanks to everyone who’s had the patience to read this thread and especially John and all the moderators for organising the forum for us.! It will be fun to look back on this in a few years. I might try and print it off the website.

I’ve done around 85 jobs by Ariel this past year and successfully made it to every job, although I wasn’t always so good at getting home! But hasten to say it wasn’t the Ariel’s fault, it was me that let the bike down with my poor wiring.

In total I’ve done 25654 miles on the Huntmaster with 14 oil changes and 7 filter changes. I use a 25 50 oil. Mostly cheap supermarket oil but I’ve done the last 4 or 5 changes with a Morris’s.

I’ve had fun with smoky pistons and leaking head gaskets. I got through a couple of belt drives for my alternator, two rear chains, two sets of tyres and a clutch cable. I managed to catch that before it did break. I had a little trouble with snatching brakes but one good thing. I’d got though a whole year without any punctures. There was a time I’d even thought of giving up motorcycling I’d had so many flat tyres but now that I use a decent thick rubber inner tube and get them professionally fitted punctures don’t seem happen. I may have had other problems that I can’t recollect , but if I can’t remember them I didn’t happen.

But all in all not bad going for a 1958 motorcycle. In fact this last year my Ariel proved more reliable then my previous modern BMW which let me down 3 times in its first year was never fixed at the road side. Something to do with an oxygen sensor I was told. Whatever that was!

So here's my last picture of the year. Taken at the Annual by John Bradshaw.
Happy New Year

041a sm.jpeg

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:17 pm

Thank you Steve, I've thoroughly enjoyed your 2016 diary and look forward to the 2017 edition.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Have a very Happy New Year.

Over and out.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Steve,
This has to have been the very best account ever written by an Ariel rider. Look at the statistics. There are slightly fewer than 1800 Ariel Club members who receive 12 copies each of Cheval de Fer in a year. That makes just over 20,000 Chevals read, assuming each member bothers to read each copy, which I am sure a fair proportion do not. You have achieved half as many views again as this total.

All in all, a fantastic piece of work for which it is difficult to thank you adequately.

But thank you again Steve, and please continue to be such an inspiration to us all for a long time to come.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

rein.heerkens

Postby rein.heerkens » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:35 pm

Thank you Steven, I've enjoyed your reports very much.

Rein Heerkens

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks Steve! I've also enjoyed it very much, and as said, you are a inspiration and your dairy reminded us on almost daily basis to keep riding our Ariels too!
Have a splendid 2017 and we'll meet again !

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:08 am

Steve
Congratulations on a job well done. I like so many other have thoroughly enjoyed your posts. 25,654 miles in a year on an Ariel is something to be proud of. And if I am remembering properly there was travel also done on your WNG and VH so your total mileage on Ariels would be up a bit on the figure that you have stated.
In many ways I would like to see this thread continue. It is after all not far off that magic figure of 100 pages. None the less 89 not out is commendable and I doubt that there will ever be another thread of this length.
All the best for the new year and I am looking forward to your future posts.
And how is that lithium battery that you fitted at the beginning of the year going.
David

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 am

Cheers lads. Like I said before I've enjoyed this as well. It great to see how reliable these bikes can be despite might best attempts :D

david.anderson wrote:And how is that lithium battery that you fitted at the beginning of the year going.
David

I've written the bit here about my batteries
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6145
Last edited by Steven.Carter on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:10 am

Well Steven what to say...
Your effords in keeping up the Daily Riding Diary are just incredible and very entertaining.
Very well done!
All the best, Paul :D

Mike Palmer

Postby Mike Palmer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Thank you Steve, an inspiration to me and as seen above to many others also. Keep it up please, it makes great entertaining reading and over 25,000 miles in one year on a 1958 Ariel is just astounding.
All the best for 2017
Thanks again.
Mike

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks Mike .

It does make a lot of financial since though.
When I rode a modern BMW, 25 thousnd miles would have meant 4 services at the dealership. I can remember one 12 thousand miles service that cost £1200.00. Now that did include two tyres but still some serious money. And something else. I know of some riders that are afraid to do too many miles because of the depreciation modern stuff suffers from. I suppose my Ariel has cost me around £600.00 to service in oil, filters and tyres maybe a few pounds in blown fuses :D But it doesn't depreciate. If anything it goes up in value. It wears it's miles as a badge of honor.

Steve

Return to “Ariel Talk”