blocked oilway in Huntmaster

Anything about Ariels
johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

blocked oilway in Huntmaster

Postby johnwalsh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Hi, thought I would introduce myself as a new member having just acquired a basket case 1958 Huntmaster. I don't propose to give a regular blow by blow account of the re-build but, thought other members may be interested in the following.

Whilst stripping the engine down and general cleaning and clearing the oilways I found the oilway from the oil relief assembly to the camshaft trough blocked . Now, this wasn't blocked with muck or debris, but blocked by the factory fitted plug in the end of the cross drilling. The offending plug was on the horizontal drilling adjacent to the small jet. I know some cynics will doubt this and say it must have been debris, but it definitely was not. I had to determine where the block was ( admittedly assuming it was debris at first ) by drilling the plug from the front outside of the c/case and inserting a spoke. I then drilled the oilway ( as in the accompanying pics ) and all is well. This debacle I believe accounts for the dreadful state of the cams which have been built up and re-ground in the past. I don't believe the engine is very high mileage as its only just coming to the end of a +20 re-bore.

1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: blocked oilway in Huntmaster

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:37 pm

John:
A word of warning. I've just checked my (currently bare) Huntmaster crankcases by pouring some parrafin through the oilways and they appear to be 'blocked' in the same way as yours so maybe that's how they are supposed to be.
I think the oilway from the cam trough is only a drain, through the small hole into the timing chest, The oilway from the pressure release will be a vent to somewhere to bleed off when there's excess pressure - I think I've seen a diagram for the oilways somewhere on t'internet, I 'll have a think....
These cams and followers (as per BSA A10/A7 as well) are frequently very worn, as standard (and a lot of the non-OEM replacements) they don't seem to have had a very good reputation for longevity.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:12 am

Thanks for your advice Simon, but just to make sure I researched the web and found diagrams of the oilway routes. It clearly showed and stated that the take-off from the relief valve goes via the small open oil hole on the rt face of the crank case to splash the timing gear and then on to the cam trough. There is no other route for the oil to go. If you google 'A10 oilway diaram' and search images, I think its at or near the top of the page. If anyone can tell me where else the relieved oil should go I'll eat my hat.
John
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:30 am

Just a further note, the piece I read stated that the initial high oil preasure via the relief to the cams was to ensure the cams were lubricated on start up due to their relatively heavy loading and there after received oil splash from the rockers push rods and then followers, makes sense, if the take off from the relief valve simply fed into the open c/case and into the sump it would seem like a waste of fresh oil. Does anyone know of an ARIEL oil ways diagram. I wonder how many other Huntmaster engines are like this. Just a small batch maybe, hopefully!
John
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

steve.clarke
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby steve.clarke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am

Bad thing to say on a forum like this John do you prefer the hat fried or boiled...... :D
Good luck with the rebuild, Steve.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:33 pm

Believe me, I've eaten a few hats in my time.
The first disaster to befall my re-build is my mistake of letting a cowboy skim the head and barrel. I have to have it done again properly which now means a de-compression plate under the barrel to compensate, not the end of the world, but very annoying to say the least.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

steve.clarke

Postby steve.clarke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:12 pm

Not to mention the waste of time and money I only ever had an engine rebuilt by some one else once when i was short of time ,it had to go back I didn't save any time and they tried to charge me again I went right off AJS twins.

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:11 pm

You can't blame the bike Steve surely, the engineers yes, maybe. I have a G12 and although I rebuilt it myself ( no engineering needed except a rebore ) its never let me down including three inter rallies. Same with the 18s. I fancied a change ( addition) when I saw my current project and couldn,t resist.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:37 pm

John:
Apologies, you're quite right. I thought I'd maybe missed a drilling but no, there's no other place for the pressure release to go than that oilway up to the camshaft trough.
A longer session today suggests that my (1955) cases aren't completely blocked, just very slow to get to/from the release valve end. Might just possibly be the way I'm trickling the paraffin in, I'll be giving it some more attention as checking/cleaning the crankcase oilways is the joint next thing on the 'todo' list (tied with putting the rods on the crank only that could be going through a prolonged pause - I hope you've got a big-bearing crank in that engine or you might have some problems with the big-end journal sizes...).
I've got another set of 1955 cases as well - very much abused but they seem to pass straight through that oilway despite being filthy as well as battered.
(I've seen many more used/clapped cams and followers than used/good for these engines so that could be an achilles heel even with a squirt from the pressure relief system - I'm hoping that modern replacements and a sympathetic servicing regime add longevity!)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

steve.clarke

Postby steve.clarke » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:03 pm

No not really John, it was a good reliable bike in the end I only sold it to buy A Ducati 900ss.
Cheers Steve.

Return to “Ariel Talk”