VH help please.

Anything about Ariels
ainsleybrand

VH help please.

Postby ainsleybrand » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:12 pm

Could I please ask the experts for a little advice on my '55 VH. I am continuing with the rebuild, and now it's the clutch and primary chains turn! So, first, does the chaincase gasket need gasket goo, or can it go in dry, and if goo is needed, what is the best one these days? Next, the manual calls for a paper washer on the footrest boss. Is this "boss" the thread that is under the clutch, and is it in addition to the chaincase gasket?

So hopefully, that will get the clutch sorted, and many thanks in advance.

Ainsley

Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VH help please.

Postby Leejm » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:22 pm

The boss is the hole for the foot peg hanger to come through the case. I stuck the gasket onto the inner case only. This means you can take the outer case off anytime leaving the gasket inplace and reuse it.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:47 pm

Hello Ainsley and Lee,
The '55 models have a short chaincase, this means the footrest comes from underneath it - no hole through the case-
But if you have a earlier manual it can be confusing as earlier models have a longer chaincase where -as Lee mentions- the footrest goes through a hole.
If the chaincase halves are nice and have no burrs and are flat you could do with only a paper gasket, but you can ofcourse use any goo you like.
Even bathroom sili wil do.
succes

ainsleybrand

Postby ainsleybrand » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:19 am

Thank you Vincent , that makes sense. so I assume that an extra washer to cover the stud under the clutch housing will not be required.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:54 am

Hello Ainsley, no extra washer needed. This point below the chaincase is the lower fixing point for same.
Make sure you dont put any stress on it, it needs to be in line with all that runs inside and outside.
Sometimes the rear chain comes very close to the back of the case, so close that it keeps it clean.
On mine I have to fit the fish on the inside of the rear chain otherwise it would scrape the case (it also mentions that in the manual)

Return to “Ariel Talk”