Pushrod Seals - Alloy Barrel, Alloy Head.

Anything about Ariels
MarkC

Pushrod Seals - Alloy Barrel, Alloy Head.

Postby MarkC » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:33 am

Hi,
I ordered spares for my HT5 and these pushrod tunnel seals were included in the spares supplied, they fit between the alloy barrel and alloy head.
I was a bit surprised to see a steel insert - the old ones didn't have this (they didn't work either). Is this correct ? If so, do the inserts fit head side or barrel side ?

DSC_2461-1.jpg

pete.collings
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Pushrod Seals - Alloy Barrel, Alloy Head.

Postby pete.collings » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:55 pm

The steel inserts were fitted to prevent (lessen?) the tendancy of the rubber seals to collapse inwards and cause wear on the alloy pushrods. Not sure when they were first introduced, but it would be after alloy heads and alloy pushrods were introduced for the singles.
I never bothered to work out which way round they should be fitted, logic would suggest at the end with the greatest heat, and hence possibility of the rubber seal degrading. Having said that, I seem to remember fitting them against the barrel.

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:10 pm

Mark, as far as I know the steel retaining ring or insert as you name it, is a standard part. It will keep the rubber ring in place when compressed between head and barrel. I'am not sure if the flat side should face the barrel, or the other side.
Attachments
Retaining.jpg
Retaining.jpg (19.98 KiB) Viewed 193 times

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:34 pm

Thanks for that, the old ones didn't have the insert and were just a splatter of rubber when I removed the head, hopefully these will work better.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

The new rubbers I fitted a few years ago were hopelessly 'wrong' and over time deformed/collapsed badly (big oil leaks and captured the push rods) despite having the top-hat inserts.
I notice that Drags now advise that their rubbers might need cutting down and I did this on the replacements - OK so far but only fitted last summer so early days yet.
(Didn't have this problem over many years with iron head/exposed push rod tube engines :? )

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

MarkC

Postby MarkC » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:33 pm

Yes, checking the height/length makes sense, if oversize they will get deformed, as I think mine were, and not seal as they should.

Return to “Ariel Talk”