showing 140 Mph........

Anything about Ariels
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: showing 140 Mph........

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 am

Having now dismantled 3 of the Healey engines over the years I can say with absolute certainty that there were no modifications to the sludge traps. The Lucas alternator on the end of the rear crank was a late modification on the prototype and possibly the cause of crank failure. At the time, the Healeys were trying to fit an electric start and making good progress that way.

Paul
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:07 pm

And here is another road test that continues the furfy regarding the Healey 4 sludge traps.
The Healey horse power is now at 45 and the compression ratio is up half a point on standard. Maybe that is nearer the money.
And I just learnt that Mr Turner designed the “Anstey” rear end
Paul the information that the alternator was possibly the cause of the broken crank is good news. I remember having a run (actually a street drag race) with an early Honda 4. When we pulled up the Honda had a bad rattle. On investigation the alternator had sheared the end off the crankshaft. Apparently not that uncommon with the early Honda if the clutch was dropped.
David
20180206214606449.pdf
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 43 times

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:21 am

" the oil radiator was required only under air temperatures in excess of 85°C ...."
Wow, I don't think I'd be riding my Sq4 if the air temperature was hotter than 85°C. The author of that Healy article doesn't seem to worry about accuracy.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks for yet another journalistic masterpiece David. The handlebar switches are standard BMW but the mountings they go in are bits of alloy cast by Healeys. And if Healeys invented the crankshaft sludge trap, why do we find them in every prewar model as well? It is easy (and necessary) to be critical of these articles but I suspect the problem lies in what the Healey brothers were trying to get over to the journalist and how well he noted down what they said.
I was most interested in the idea that the oil cooler was not needed in temperatures up to 85 degrees F. How on earth could they have found that out from a factory in Redditch where the summer temperature rarely exceeds 70 degrees F? I once rode my first Healey into Kracow in Poland with wife Maggie on the back and all luggage for 2 weeks away also on the back. A roadside display indicated that the temperature was 36.5 degrees C which equates to almost 98 degrees F. Did the oil cooler cut in? No, it was disconnected as superfluous. Did the bike overheat? No, but I did stop the engine whilst waiting at each of the many sets of traffic lights. The bike restarted every time first kick. Do you need an oil cooler on a Healey? Yes - otherwise there is nothing to hold the petrol tank on with ! (Although a length of angle iron (or aluminium) would do that job just as well and be cheaper.)
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 am

Here is yet another instance of journalistic licence. Or possibly the American square 4 was not the same as supplied elsewhere.
For the square 4 to run a standing ¼ in less than 13 seconds is certainly an achievement. For the time posted the square would have certainly been doing well over 90mph (and possibly nudging 100mph) as it crossed the line and yet top speed not attained because the engine was not run in? I wonder if this one was sidecar geared.
The brakes appear to be better than fitted to the Healey. Paul, I bet your Healey did not throw you forward in the manner depicted in the photo.
David
4 test.pdf
(865.75 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Bneeve

Postby Bneeve » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 am

She's Beautiful mate...
1947 VH 500 ... Love the British Bikes

Return to “Ariel Talk”