Ewarts plunger type

Anything about Ariels
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ewarts plunger type

Postby david.anderson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:34 am

On the subject of fuels. Australian fuel is mostly imported from Singapore. It does go off very quickly. I have found that any fuel that is more than a month old will reduce performance and make for hard starting. It is also noticeable that the fuel supplied to some areas is a poorer quality/older and more pricey. The Ulladulla area also has the most expensive fuels in the state and the Nowra area (my local area) is not much better. A marine dealer in Ulladulla (a popular coastal holiday destination) on the NSW south coast believes that the Ulladulla area has the worst fuels in the state. He regularly has customers with high end Honda outboard motors that are not running well and are brought in to him for service during holiday periods. His advice is to buy fuel from out of the area, which generally fixes the problem.
Although it goes off quickly we do have the advantage of being able to purchase ethanol free 98 octane unleaded.
David

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:36 am

On the subject of fuels. Australian fuel is mostly imported from Singapore. It does go off very quickly. I have found that any fuel that is more than a month old will reduce performance and make for hard starting. It is also noticeable that the fuel supplied to some areas is a poorer quality/older and more pricey. The Ulladulla area has the most expensive fuels in the state and the Nowra area (my local area) is not much better. A marine dealer in Ulladulla (a popular coastal holiday destination) on the NSW south coast believes that the Ulladulla area has the worst fuels in the state. He regularly has customers with high end Honda outboard motors that are not running well and are brought in to him for service during holiday periods. His advice is to buy fuel from out of the area, which generally fixes the problem.
Although it goes off quickly we do have the advantage of being able to purchase ethanol free 98 octane unleaded.
David

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am

You often need to oversize the plungers as the main body does wear. You could sleeve and solder the sleeve in as both parts are brass and tin easily. You have to get the holes right. If you are redoing the gauze filter, the holes can be bored in situ. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:24 am

You can buy stabilizer for petrol from most big marine dealers.....I like Whitworths,they are very reasonable on prices,a lot better than any auto suppliers.Personally,I wont use any of the pull type taps on any bike thats used on the road......I have memories of plungers coming out and disappearing............my knees are too bad to push bikes now.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:31 am

They certainly are a challenge. Probably the most unreliable thing on the bike. They are not he only fuel tap that gives problems . Some are chromed diemetal with plenty of plastic parts that go brittle .The push pull things on the AJS are constantly leaking. More corks. Same with Lawnmower taps. The newer Plastic ones work well but they are PLASTIC. John, I hate working on a bike when on a rally, Roadside restorations are not the way to go. Having a bike that needs a battery to go is bad too. When they are only used intermittently. The battery needs a good trickle charge that can be left on that won't boil the battery dry overnight.. Having a battery in an old bike left alive is also a fire risk. An isolating switch is a good idea. or unhook the battery terminal. A tie down cut through the horn wire recently in the back of the van. while it was being driven.. The horn kept coming on intermittently, so I obviously didn't isolate the battery, did I? Nev

IanR

Postby IanR » Sat May 12, 2018 2:30 pm

I have an Ewarts type main/reserve tap on my 1954 VB. I tried new corks to no avail. Finally I fitted a pair of neoprene "corks" from Draganfly (PA-34), a bit pricey but worked perfectly, claimed to be ethanaol proof, no leaks or petrol smell in the garage. My tap has threaded plungers. The two pull on plungers are different lengths and can be fitted "the wrong way round" so check they work correctly for reserve( both on) or main(one on). The taps don't lock.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun May 13, 2018 9:16 am

This one I use on my Ariels, chromed brass, sod originality! those Ewards are lethal.

tap Burney.JPG

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun May 13, 2018 9:38 am

You are probably right. Nev

Return to “Ariel Talk”