'48 VH Speedo

Anything about Ariels
JerryTapscott

'48 VH Speedo

Postby JerryTapscott » Tue May 15, 2018 3:45 pm

The speedo on my '48 VH is all over the place, and usually reads about 75mph when I'm doing more like 23 mph.

It's an 80mph speedo and I think should actually be a 120mph speedo. However, the 120mph speedo I ordered from Feked is way too deep and won't fit into the tank panel. The current 80mph speedo is only 32mm deep from the base of the bezel to the bottom of the housing. The Feked one was more like about 60mm.

So, a couple of questions - firstly, what exactly is the historically correct speedo for a '48 VH, and then (assuming these are impossible to find), can anyone recommend a viable repro part that will actually fit into the tank panel? All the ones I am seeing are looking far too deep to fit.

This is the current speedo that reads 75mph regardless of actual speed:

Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: '48 VH Speedo

Postby Keith.owen » Tue May 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Jerry,
I think the people that now trade under the Smiths brand do an electronic speedo that will fit. You will need to convert to 12 volt electrics and it uses a magnetic sensor. O.K., not quite original but it pretty much looks the part and means you can be road legal. Not cheap either, but it probably works out the same as getting or existing one repaired.

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.davies » Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm

I have always used David Woods to recondition my Smiths chronometric speedos. His son, Philip, has taken over most of the work now. The cost I usually pay for a recondition just to get working is around £75 but that depends on how much work you want done, just to get working or a full restoration.

http://www.chronometricspeedos.co.uk
Image 1937 Panther M100 Rigid, 1946 Ariel Square 4 Rigid / Girder (WIP), 1952 Norton Model 7, 1958 BSA C15, 1961 Triumph T120R, 1962 BSA A10 SR Export

JerryTapscott

Postby JerryTapscott » Tue May 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Keith, thanks for the info regarding the digital version - I had no idea such a thing existed. At the moment I am resisting the 12v thing but I'm not ruling this out. I did notice it's got no less than nine wires to connect up, which is almost more than my entire harness!

John, chronometric speedos looks promising - and despite extensive internet searches this site never appeared so this is good info.

What I need to find out, and I'm hoping they might know, is exactly what speedo should be on a '48 VH or at the very least what will both fit and work.

alan.moore
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Jerry,
The 1948 sales brochure states 100 mph speedo for the VH

http://www.arielownersmcc.co.uk/members ... phlet2.jpg

It is my understanding that the 80 mph one can be altered to be a 100 mph one with a change of face and some other internal parts. However it could be quite expensive to do and even if you could pick up a suitable 100 mph unit it may still need some work.

The subject of speedos in tanks has come up a few times and the consensus of opinion is that in todays traffic conditions the last thing you want to be doing is looking down at the tank to see how fast you are going and the suggestion is the fitting of a discreet bicycle digital speedo on the bars driven from a small magnetic pickup on a spoke on the front wheel. They are dirt cheep.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

JerryTapscott

Postby JerryTapscott » Thu May 17, 2018 12:24 am

Yes, after looking around I was beginning to think that. I have one (a Cat Eye) on one of my road bicycles. And yes, you're right, looking down at the tank - especially in a full face helmet - doesn't feel too safe. Might have to go down that road, at least until I have a working 100mph chronometric, which, going by eBay prices, is looking like anything between 300 to 500 quid for a refurbished original.

Just as a matter of interest, on the original speedo - where did the adjuster knob to reset the trip mileometer to zero come out? On top of the speedo or via a long cable out to the handlebars? That one's been puzzling me.

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Fri May 18, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi,
interesting; I never knew there was such a thing as 100mph speedo. I always thought it 80 mph on the 350s and 120 mph on the 500.

The trip is a long spindle that dangles down the hole through the tank for the speedo cable and is accessible between the rocker box and tank. A bit awkward and I didn't bother to fit it to mine although I still have it should I change my mind.

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

JerryTapscott

Postby JerryTapscott » Sat May 19, 2018 11:08 am

Am I right in thinking then that the 80, 100 and 120mph speedos all have different gearing and therefore each would give a different readout for the same speed? Or are they essentially the same, just with a bit more headroom for the top speed? If they are basically the same I may well just get my current one refurbished and keep its basic originality. My bike was a VG which had a VH engine fitted and according to the paperwork was supplied with an 80mph speedo when new. And to be fair I don't see myself going over 60 let alone 80!

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Sat May 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Jerry, ridden with gusto your vh will see the other side of 60,when the Red mist descends. And on any Sunday.
Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

Return to “Ariel Talk”