Anything about Ariels
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Stainless or Not?

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:59 am

Hi,
It's stainless for me!

It might be more expensive initially, but, once its there it's there so it's cheaper in the long run!

I have just recently re-built my VH engine and one of the best things I did was to fit a magnetic sump filter. I know you can get them for A10s but not sure about Ariel twins. It incredible what it attracts and also how clean the oil remains, even when running in!!

Good luck - nice bike!!!!!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

johnwalsh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby johnwalsh » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:19 pm

The first thing I,d check is the frame for straightness ( not like wot I did !). I would recommend stainless every time, especially wheels as they rust from the inside ( especially being near the sea as you are). Only my AJS has 12v and I certainly miss it on the Huntmaster, I do a fair bit of night riding though.
1958 Huntmaster
1960 Matchless G12
1958 AJS 18s

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:12 am

I know we all have very different opinions on restoration..... my personal take is.... to never use stainless when I have an original fastener and if one is missing I like to use something which will decay over time with the rest of the bike.

Some years ago I foolishly 'restored' a Norton and many original fasteners were replaced with stainless replacements, it was also painted and had the dents knocked out. The bike lost its soul and was never the same again. It looked good enough to go into a museum and people said 'wow' but I could have bought a Honda so it was sold. For this act alone I may be going to hell.

Some of the fasteners had unique profiles and I'm told the apprentices would have made these. When looking at the finished bike mostly what could be seen was new chrome, rims, spokes and new paint, the stainless fasteners would never settle in like an old wine blah blah blah...
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/TriumphModelN
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS) http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7RacerMk2
1954 VeloLE

AOMCC Member 3400

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:06 pm

I know we all have very different opinions on restoration..... my personal take is.... to never use stainless when I have an original fastener and if one is missing I like to use something which will decay over time with the rest of the bike.

I guess I'am with you Dave... Paul

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 pm

Paul Slootheer wrote:

I guess I'am with you Dave... Paul

I agree. When I built my SQ4, I used stainless fasteners throughout - but I have a lot of the original phosphated studs and nuts. Now that I almost know what I'm doing with Ariels, and I have a lathe, the plan is to replace the missing ones and go back to original. Chemical black certainly looks better on the older bikes, but I spray a lot of ACF50 on the W/NG, which has original fasteners.

But the FH? Would that have had zinc plated fasteners originally?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Roger Gwynn

Postby Roger Gwynn » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:57 pm

The Ariel and BSA FMG are very similar but not the same! The Ariel one has more rounded corners and doesn't have lugs for a front stay although it could do with them. It also has scallops for the fork legs that the Ariel doesn't, these are the type of inedible scallops by the way.

Roger
Worldwide Membership Secretary
Semi-retired partner in Draganfly Motor Cycles

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:36 pm

Thanks Roger. Now, anyone got a spare Ariel front mudguard for my 58 FH?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Return to “Ariel Talk”