Looking for trouble Mk2 Sq4

Anything about Ariels
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Looking for trouble Mk2 Sq4

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Back in 2006, before Romania joined the EU (and the roads got improved) we entered the country from Guyla in Hungary and rode roughly eastwards to a rally in Turda. We came out again via Cluj Napojca towards Debrechen and then on to Kosice in Slovakia. A full account of the trip appeared in Cheval de Fer shortly afterwards.

So you will just have to join the Ariel Owners Motor Cycle Club. www.arielownersmcc.co.uk Go ahead and do so - it will be one of the very best ways you spend money this year - or any other year.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

KLester

Postby KLester » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 am

Just out of idle curiosity I was wondering which swinging arm frames are the easiest to fit a Sq4 engine and gearbox in to?
(before any purists send out the hit squad I did say "idle curiosity":)
Tiger T140, Ajs 18s, Triumph Twenty One.

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:43 am

featherbed or replica f/bed is easy to do,and many have been done....Dont use the Burman box,use a AMC...much better box with proper oilseals...........Check out Noriel"

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:25 pm

I apologise for this response in advance - but the best and easiest swinging arm frame to fit a Square Four engine into is of course the Healey 1000/4 frame.
I sold my swinging arm Square Four kit last week. The argument went "Why do I need a swinging arm Square Four when I have a Healey?" (The swinging arm Square Four kit involved a 1954 swinging arm frame modified to take the Square Four engine).
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

KLester

Postby KLester » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Many thanks to everyone who has shared their knowledge. I will now be a right pain in the .... when I finally get one:)) Be warned.
With thanks again from a sunny Burgundy.
Tiger T140, Ajs 18s, Triumph Twenty One.

klaus gerhard
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby klaus gerhard » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello KLester,
If you are looking for a Ariel Swingarmkit for a Square4 engine I might be able to help. Send me a PM.
Regards Klaus

KevinOToole

Postby KevinOToole » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:06 pm

I have always been a Triumph twin guy but like you I thought it would be nice to have a square four.
I bought a 1958 Mk2, earlier this year. It's lucky I'm retired... it took me three engine rebuilds before I was happy with it! New con rods, big end shells and new main bearings. Pistons and bore were OK. Big ends and main bearing journals were all OK. I had problems stopping oil leaks in the head area but all OK after fitting an Otto gasket. I did reseal all the pipes and fittings on the head at the same time. I had to cut extra keyways in the camshaft sprocket to get the valve timing spot on. There was already a morgo pump fitted. I would never do an oil change with out taking the timing cover off and bleeding the pump. I have fitted and oil filter.
At one point in the summer, I was wondering if I'd done the right thing.... but now I'm happy with the engine, I know I did the right thing. It seems very happy and vibration free at 65 to 70 mph, two up. During a two week holiday, We went to the Annual Rally in Amsterdam and although we took the bike on the back of our truck, we did 800 trouble free miles in two weeks.
I have converted to 12v and fitted an alternator.
I don't want to see the inside of a square four engine for a long time!
I hope this helps.....

Thoward

Postby Thoward » Sun May 10, 2020 12:02 pm

Hi all, can anyone recommend a trusty sq4 engine rebuilder? Contact details if possible.
Many thanks

Return to “Ariel Talk”