Fitting swing arm to frame

Anything about Ariels
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Fitting swing arm to frame

Postby tonyh » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:05 pm

Hi Folks
Is there a special way to fit the swing arm to the frame. The arm has the bush in it but no matter how I approach it it won't go in. The frame and swing arm are not damaged. Any help would be appreciated.

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Fitting swing arm to frame

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Have you changed the bushes? If not, keep fiddling about and eventually you will crack the problem. I seem to remember that you have to have the swinging arm at a particular angle in terms of its up and down movement to get it in. If you have changed the bushes, were the inner sleeves the same length as the originals? The central tube has, I think, a lip which goes round the inner sleeve of the bushes. Could yours have caught on one of the bushes, preventing it from going fully home?
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

steve.clarke
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby steve.clarke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 pm

IMG_3069 (1).jpg

Tony
I use the stretcher bar method shown, 2 threaded rods with large washers one through the sidecar mounts one through the swinging arm spindle mounts ease them out starting at the sidecar fittings, until you just get enough clearance (ensure the bushes are fully home as Paul says) take out the rod through the swing arm spindle holes and the swinging arm should slide in at an angle and then straighten it up.
Regards Steve.
57VH 58VH 56HS IN A 58FH Frame, mortal remains of a 57NH 1999 FZS 600

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks Paul and Steve.
The swing are has the bushes in but did not come out of the frame I am using. I will have measure over the bushes and the inner part of the frame where it fits. I should have done this first. Maybe Ariel allowed a little racing clearance as the arm has to be twisted to fit as its impossible to push it in straight.

If all fails I will try the jacking thing. Its surprising how much pressure you can put on with a thread. I will check distances first though.
Thanks Tony

Return to “Ariel Talk”