bike identification

Anything about Ariels
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: bike identification

Postby alan.moore » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Looking at the sales brochures for 1947 and 1948 ( in the document section of the website) this shows the NG having the same mudguards as the NH i.e not valanced.
The NH is listed as having chrome rims with painted centres with a 19 inch rear and a 20 inch front wheel (3.00 x 20) with a ribbed tyre; whereas the NG is only listed with 3.25 x 19 tyres suggesting it has a 19 inch front wheel with block tyre tread. The NG makes not mention of chromed rims.

It is difficult to tell but I have convinced myself the front wheel is bigger than the rear and it does have a ribbed tyre fitted. So....my money is NH

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm

john.whiting wrote:The rider looks very thin,might be an ex POW.

To be honest, have you ever looked at the wartime rations? A week back then was less than many people eat in a day now! Very few fat people in those days.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:02 pm

The only way we shall ever know if it was an NG or an NH is if we can have engine or frame number. It is entirely possible to have an NG with chrome rims and painted centres by special order. Equally, it is possible to have an NH with black tank and rim centres. The only constraint is that in the immediate post war years, the more you went away from standard specification, the later delivery was likely to be. That said, by mid 1947, the remarks column tends to have entries for most machines, even if these are restricted to "downswept" or "pillion seat and footrests" so the demand for variations was getting through.
I maintain that the bike should be no later than 1947. By 1948, according to a photo in "Square Forum" the oil seal holders on the front forks were chrome plated. These would not be subject to variation for an individual order.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 am

Paul
I cannot agree regarding the fork seal holders being chrome plate post 48. The earliest that the Hunter singles were chrome plate is 1951 (when they stopped chroming petrol tanks). The period photo in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=622&hilit=fork
is of a 49VH a 50VH and a 48 VH and the photo was taken in 1950. As you can see the fork seal holders are all black. Note how only the 50VH has the chrome front brake plate and larger headlight.
David

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:56 am

Just a thought, even though parts may have been catalogued as being chrome plated, surely after the war the supply and availability of chrome would have been perhaps unreliable?

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Ah well, that shows yet another thing I thought reliable to be anything but. The photos in Square Forum (an AOMCC publication from the 1980s but probably still available from Jerry Mortimore) are on Page 4 and clearly show chrome oil seal holders and front brake plate. The caption reads," 1948 4G. Bought new by Mr Pickering from Colmore Depot in April 1948 when he took these photos. (Eng no CJ714). Used as an only vehicle for 30,000 miles, then part exchanged for a new KH in 1952."

A check on the engine number in the Despatch Book confirms Colmore Depot, gives no special notes at all which suggests an absolutely standard machine but the despatch date is given as 6th July 1948, not April.

The photos show a bike in immaculate condition, entirely as one would expect a new machine to be. The reproduction isn't great but I can scan it if need be.

I think what this tells us is that some bikes had chromed oil seal holders and brake plates in 1948. What your evidence shows, David, is that others did not !! Typical Ariel !
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:09 am

Typically all of them Paul, not just Ariel. I seem to remember reading articles over the years in magazines where the point was made that many of the catalogue specifications of bikes bore a marked difference to the machines supplied. And I guess as far as chrome was concerned, the supply was somewhat sporadic for a few years.

Mike Smith

Postby Mike Smith » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:59 am

Wow..You guys are great. I want to thank everyone for responding to my fathers photo. This photo was taken on Lyndhurst Road, Reigate Surrey just after the war. You're very observant about the P.O.W. connection, although he was not a P.O.W. he was in Burma during the war, as you may well know they were referred to as the "forgotten army", food and drink was scarce.
He was de-mobed in 1946, I imagine he purchased this bike with back pay?
I would like to find out the present owner of this bike. I understand there are log books available for bikes and kept by the present owner showing previous ownerships?
Is it possible to trace the vehicle identification number through the license plate shown in the photo?
Once again, thank you all for your input.
Dr. Michael Smith

BobWard

Postby BobWard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:02 am

DVLA check reg comes back with not found on data base.
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:00 pm

I have bought a BK- BP in that neighbourhood 10-13? years ago, put it on Dutch papers and sold it on in the Netherlands, maybe there is still some papers at home but that will take some time to see.
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ariel Talk”