Tel fork strip

Anything about Ariels
tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Tel fork strip

Postby tonyh » Sun May 26, 2019 11:19 am

Hi Folks
I have seen somewhere a fork strip for the telescopic forks which although mine are the later nacelle type is the same as non nacelle. I am sure it was on our forum could somebody help please.
Cheers Tony

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Tel fork strip

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun May 26, 2019 11:30 am

It goes like this; make a wire to the speedocable so you can pull it up after, disconnect, take the headlamp out, lift the panel, take the nacelle away, take the leggs away, undu the leggs.

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Sun May 26, 2019 1:03 pm

I've got the forks out and the legs out Adrie. There going onto the Ariel VNH Vtwin. I am at last on a roll with building a complete Ariel. The forks came off another bike which I have had and I have modified the frame for the engine.
I think the forks have never been apart since about 56. Somebody has painted everything including the seal holders which I am finding almost impossible to get off. I have tried chain and strap wrench both just distort the holders. Next I will try heat. I assume I need to get these out to get the legs out of the bottom sliders. I have seen the exploded view on Drags web site and this is what I am working from. Any other ideas for such seal holders ?
Tony

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sun May 26, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi

I removed my seal holders with a 'Stilson' pipe wrench - it marked the holders but as I was replacing them anyhow it didn't matter, you need to grip the holders near to the bottom or as you've found, they will distort. There is a recommended special tool, (sort of a tubular peg spanner), which locates in the base of the holder, (look down inside with a torch and you'll see two slots for this. I didn't buy the tool as I don't see any requirement to over tighten the seal holders on installation.

Once you have unscrewed the seal holders they will slide up the stanchion about 6 inches before the seals become stuck on the increasing stanchion diameter. At this point look down into the slider and you'll see a wire circlip, remove this and then pull the stanchion out of the slider, you may need to extend it a few times against the upper bearing and removing the drain screw facilitates this.

Fork Circlip.png
Fork Circlip.png (175.28 KiB) Viewed 477 times

With the stanchion assy out of the slider you can remove the bottom nut followed by the washer, bottom and top bearings, possibly a shim or two from the top of the upper bearing, circlip and oil seal holder.

Regards Mick

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sun May 26, 2019 2:18 pm

Tony I have a tool for removing the seal holders pop round and you can borrow it.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Sun May 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks Mick, thats the great thing about forums like this, instant advice and pics too.
Lee, I will ring you later and arrange to pop round and borrow the tool. Whats stars.

Thanks again Tony

Return to “Ariel Talk”