decompressors

Anything about Ariels
charvey

decompressors

Postby charvey » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi All,
I have two decompressors both worn shafts, i have tried making them oil tight with cork seals with rubber sealing rings, packers etc, but not good on a long run 70+ miles there is a fair bit of oil leakage, can we get new or reconditioned ones shafts built up then turned down or any ideas please, they are both fitted to 500cc engines one alloy and one iron, Clive.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: decompressors

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:23 pm

I think that might be a problem we all suffer with, Clive.
Mine was fine until the first long run this year but now it's letting out much more oil than I approve of.....

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

charvey

Re: decompressors

Postby charvey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:53 am

Tried again to seal decompressor,after shaft is in, thin tight rubber ring, cork seal slightly rebated to take ring, pressure/spacer/packing washer then lever and tighten off bike to check if to tight, thiner washer or stronger return spring,tried it yesterday for a few miles at it seems better at the moment could we get some made or reconditioned for the Ariel spares or is the price going to be to much Clive

Return to “Ariel Talk”