Is This A Stainless Rim?

Anything about Ariels
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Is This A Stainless Rim?

Postby paul.wirdnam » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:11 pm

Four or five months ago, I bought two stainless rims (and spokes) from Draganfly for my '39 4G project. I've only just got round to wheel building, so hadn't unwrapped them until this week. I started with the 18" 36 hole rear and all went according to plan but today, I unwrapped the 19" 40 hole front rim and I'm not sure what Drags have supplied...

It looks like chrome rather than stainless i.e. it is very white. It is also magnetic which the rear rim is not...and unlike the rear rim, it does not appear to be made by CWC although it may have been supplied to Drags by CWC (as my rear one was).

So is this rim some sort of magnetic stainless which is very white...or have they supplied a chromed steel rim? I didn't have time to phone them today...but will do so on Monday.

'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Is This A Stainless Rim?

Postby Paul Slootheer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:48 pm

According to the Draganfly part number 4502-34Q this should be stainless steel rim. However I allways thought stainless is not magnetic...

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:50 pm

Some grades of stainless are magnetic. If you ask Acme Stainless for a wheel spindle it is likely to be made in magnetic stainless since this material performs better in this role. But it is a swine to machine.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Paul Slootheer

Postby Paul Slootheer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:03 pm

I just did check my KH which has a 19” stainless CWC rear rim and it is not magnetic... :?

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:16 pm

Methinks they're extremely unlikely to use more than one type of stainless steel 'cos they'll stick with the spec they've got for the application (ie wheel rims) and not mess about experimenting with more than one grade of material. (Surely would make it more expensive as well?)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:27 am

They probably have multiple suppliers so the "one" wrapper may not mean much. Generally "stainless" which covers many different formula's is not the same shine as chrome plate which is very white or even bluish when it's good quality. Chrome can peel if poorly applied and have rust come through it as it's porous and needs to be looked after with polishing if exposed to salt etc. Generally stainless steel alloys are tough and not easy to machine or weld You can braze them with nickel bronze quite well, though. Nev
s

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:38 am

Stainless rims should be knurled or taped up and sandblasted inside the bead,or the tire will creep round and cut the valve off.........Incidentally,there are a great many types of stainless and semi stainless steels.........the austenitic grades generally used for decorative work(and rims) are quite easy to weld by stick ,mig or tig with a correct filler metal........in fact even a beginner can generally get a very smooth weld with stainless electrodes in a small welder....Due to the high electrical resistance,and low heat conductivity of the metal,a lower current is used .....However ,due to complex factors,the weld may not be fully rust resistant.......and stainless exhausts do rust at elevated temperatures.......The metal is also susceptable to hydrochloric acid,sometimes used to clean car wheels.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:54 am

Chromed OR stainless rims will slip the tire if not knurled on the inside. Big trap. Tire goes flat fast when valve torn out. nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:09 am

Back to the subject...it does look blueish,not yellow like stainless.........it may be a 400 grade semistainless,and chromed as well.If carbon steel, it will be equally as magnetic as mild steel.....even 400 grades are not strongly magnetic......Another check might be the punched holes,they might be bare metal ,and rust if touched with a salty finger.

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:10 am

Hi

I'd be very surprised if the rim is stainless, even more so if the magnetic properties do not match the rear. Looks like an identification error by Draganfly.

The six DRC stainless rims I have are all essentially non magnetic.

Regards Mick

Return to “Ariel Talk”