Ariel Huntmaster chain drags on S/A

Anything about Ariels
Terrylee

Ariel Huntmaster chain drags on S/A

Postby Terrylee » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:28 pm

I'd be grateful for bit of advice. I recently rebuilt a 1954 huntmaster basket case. I only have one issue with it and that is the main chain drags on the swinging arm. The gearbox is a burman GB. I think maybe the sprockets are the wrong ones. These came with the bike. Looking at the swinging arm and the groove in it this appears to be a previous problem unsorted by the previous owner. Thanks in advance Terry
Attachments
IMG_20190622_121654_1CS.jpg

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Ariel Huntmaster chain drags on S/A

Postby Mick D » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi

The gearbox sprocket should have 19 teeth, the rear wheel one 47 teeth and the chain should have 100 links - witness marks may just be indicative of the chain not being correctly tensioned in the past.

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi Terry - welcome to the forum.
Your rear shocks look too long - on the centre stand (with the back wheel off the ground) my s/arm is almost horizontal (the top edge of the back end of the pillion/exhaust mounting is about mid-way on the swing-arm).
Your front brake's all wrong as well, it won't work properly set up like that. The cable should come down the front of the fork leg into an abutment/cable adjuster on the bottom of the slider, and the cable should make a right-angle with the lever when the brake is pulled on (the fulcrum adjuster at the opposite end of the shoes to the lever is used to keep this adjustment).
As Mick says, the frames frequently show marks of the chain rubbing, usually caused by folks not adjusting things properly.

HTH

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Hi

Yes, your over long dampers won't help the situation - my FH on the centre stand:

S Arm on Stand.png
S Arm on Stand.png (304.87 KiB) Viewed 1110 times

Your front brake 'torque arm' looks very similar to a head steady, if this is the case it's not really up to the job especially as it is in compression rather than tension.

Your front forks look very compressed too - have you shortened the springs?

Regards Mick

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:38 am

Have the long shocks been fitted because the mudguard is too shallow?

Return to “Ariel Talk”