Ariel club badge.

Anything about Ariels
KevinOToole

Ariel club badge.

Postby KevinOToole » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:35 pm

I've been wanting to have a go at casting aluminium, for a while. Someone gave me an old Ariel Owners badge. I thought it would be a perfect subject. Not perfect but getting there!
Attachments
IMG_20190923_132159279.jpg

Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Ariel club badge.

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:21 pm

That looks already pretty good, on the right hand side just a small amount of sand dropped in to the mould I think ?
Do you use 'Brussel's Earth' ? (no nothing to do with the EU, I haste to say!)
It's a very fine grain Red/Brown sand that holds a certain amount of oil.

Mark Nazer

Postby Mark Nazer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 pm

That’s quite impressive!
And Vincent, don’t mention the EU; we will all start arguing amongst ourselves :lol:
Enjoy old age, you didn’t die young!

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:46 pm

HI Nice job wen you paint it to look old you donot wont it to look new you need a bit of age with it

KevinOToole

Postby KevinOToole » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:28 pm

I tried homemade green sand to start with... Not a good enough definition to get all the detail on the badge, so... decided to invest in some Bromsgrove Greensand 20kg from https://www.artisanfoundry.co.uk. It is a brownish red fine sand but I don't think it's Brussel's earth.
I needed to do quite a bit of work before I could use it. I had to dry it out, as it was a too wet. I then sieved it to get all the big bits out of it. I thought the big bits might be the clay, so put them through a food processor and finally sieved them before adding them back to the sand. I then added some water to get it to the right consistency to make a mould.
Initially I was disappointed with the sand but after the work I put in, it's good, so I'm glad I made the purchase.
I have to thank Myfordboy for all the great videos he posts on on YouTube, I don't think I would have known where to start without his videos.

KevinOToole

Postby KevinOToole » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:25 pm

Vincent.vanGinneke , thanks for the tip about the sand dropping in the mould. It was definitely the cause of a poor finish. I'm starting to get a bit better. I also altered my pattern to take away the sharp corner. This helped the mould to stay together and not drop sand.

Return to “Ariel Talk”