Yahoo Groups

Anything about Ariels
pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Yahoo Groups

Postby pappleton » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 am

Not really sure if I should be posting this here, but... It seems that Yahoo will now be charging for hosting its various groups, including Ariel mc and Colchester lathes, all the previous content will be taken down unless a fee is paid, robbing gits. You tube has also changed - there's more ads than content now - unless you pay a fee, of course! Turn on the TV, it takes most of the evening to watch a 90 minute movie. Shame there is no ad blocker that works for all this tripe.
I guess the Ariel mc group could combine with the club, seems as though most are members already, but the content is slightly different. Poor old Colchester lathes may fall by the wayside, although there was a member prepared to set up a new website some months ago, he appeared to get few takers. I've downloaded all the content applicable to my old lathe, but much more will be lost forever.
OK, rant over
BR, Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid

Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Yahoo Groups

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:53 am

Get you addicted and then upp the price :shock:
I usually disconnect after the second or third Ad block during a movie and retrait to da shed.. 8-)
THAT will teach them ! ehhh..not. :(

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 am

I usually record movies - then fast-forward over the Adverts. If I actually watch something on a Commercial channel the sound gets muted during the ads.

I have noticed the constant ads cropping up on You-Tube, its very annoying. Also my e-mail provider (Tiscali . . now TalkTalk) recently started charging around £50 per year for the service. There are adverts cropping up on the e-mail pages now as well.

So many people have my e-mail address that it was easier to pay the fee rather than face the hassle of switching to my BT e-mail address (that comes with my 'tariff' but I don't use).

Trying to read the news items on my smartphone is a real pain as ads & videos pop up in the text.

A sign of the times I'm afraid, there are probably subliminal ads as well that we're not aware of.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

admin

Postby admin » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:18 am

Interesting
Unfortunately, I was never the moderator/owner of the Yahoo groups. It was left in place, as there were adherants who wanted to keep it.
It also looks like any login I had is lapsed too. Is it still even active ?

There maybe stored content, which could be useful but it's likely most of it we already have stored.

Facebook, and the more recent facebook groups, has been gradually killing the traditional style of forums. This forum too.
I'm not much of a facebook user, as are plenty of others, but i think we are the dwindling minority.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:21 pm

I think one of the important differences about this forum is its link to the a huge amount of stored information, both in threads and on the club website. Facebook is more about the 'here and now' - 'saw this at the rally'. I think there is a 'stored files' section on the Ariel Facebook, but it doesn't get much use.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:01 pm

brenton.roy wrote:I think one of the important differences about this forum is its link to the a huge amount of stored information, both in threads and on the club website. Facebook is more about the 'here and now' - 'saw this at the rally'. I think there is a 'stored files' section on the Ariel Facebook, but it doesn't get much use.

I agree. It's worth spending a bit of time considering what these tools are for: this forum is a library of useful information, like the club website, but with expert commentary. I created my blog as a more personal library and a diary, that was within my control and I'm aware that it has similar content to the forum in some respects.

Facebook and Instagram however are quite different - they are more communication tools, more like the coffee shop than the library. I use them for immediate communication and sometimes to draw attention to interesting or forum posts.

There's room for both to coexist - lets just remember what they are for so we don't accidentally forget how to use one of them!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 pm

One group of which I'm a member is moving to groups.io because of the ya-boo change. There is apparently a limit on archive of 1GB???

I'd never heard of the organisation, but looks good so far.

May be worth paying for more space if that's an available option.

roger.fellows

Postby roger.fellows » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:43 pm

Apparently $20 per month for 10 GB

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:30 pm

There was some good information on the Yahoo group, but very little in comparison with the huge amount of very good information on this Forum. I hope that the information on this Forum can be suitably retained and made available for Ariel owners who may need answers to the same questions maybe in 50 years time when we have all ridden through the pearly gates.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

john.mitchell
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am

The more groups the more the info is dispersed. A reduction would not be all bad.
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

Return to “Ariel Talk”