Classic Bike Insurance : A Rant.

Recommend a bike related business
paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Classic Bike Insurance : A Rant.

Postby paul_turner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Personally I think they get cocky once established. Just had a quote from PJ and quite a bit more than last time. When questioned, a list of extras came out that were not there before. Peter James was part of Footman James before they sold out so he knows the business.

paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby paul.wirdnam » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:53 pm

iansoady wrote:That sounds very high. My premium with PJ is around £90 for the Norton (agreed value £6,000) and the Guzzi (agreed value £2,500).

I do believe that most of the brokers use Equity Red Star as the underwriters - PJ certainly do for mine.

I have too many bikes....pro rata, my premium is less than yours.
'28 Model B (project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (project), '39 4G (project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:53 pm

Just moved to Peter James insurance, what a stark contrast to Carole Nash, very little waiting time, much lower premium. Should have done it years ago.

Regards,
John P.

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby robjameson » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:17 pm

I have just received my renewal from peter James, up an extra £6 from last year. Small change really, but 7 years ago, it was £80. Perhaps I’m just a tight git, but in my opinion, insurance should go down not up - unless you claim.

Are peter James still the best bet?
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)
2016 Honda CBR600RR

pkrichardson

Postby pkrichardson » Mon May 06, 2019 7:44 pm

Try this company Hagerty UK: Classic Car Insurance & Valuation just changed last year very good service no sale bumf
cheaper look at web site

pete

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Tue May 07, 2019 7:22 am

robjameson wrote:I have just received my renewal from peter James, up an extra £6 from last year. Small change really, but 7 years ago, it was £80. Perhaps I’m just a tight git, but in my opinion, insurance should go down not up - unless you claim.

Are peter James still the best bet?

Good question! My renewal quote from PJ came through last week and is about the same as last year, taking into account some changes to bikes. But I've just had a quote from RH and they are £100 cheaper! The only difference is that I have Agreed Value with PJ and the quote from RH was for market value.

I've always wondered about the true benefits of Agreed Value. My bikes are probably under-insured based on current crazy prices, so would I be better off with market value? It is certainly easier switching insurance companies if I don't have to go through the hassle of proving Agreed Value each time.

Would appreciate views on Agreed Value versus Market Value?
'28 Model B (project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (project), '39 4G (project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

Return to “Suppliers”