New member to group.

Bikes or not. Whatever
DaveCorey

New member to group.

Postby DaveCorey » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:33 pm

Hello from Canada! I am a new member and I have recently purchased a 1951 500cc Ariel red hunter VH and am looking for a gas/petrol tank. I have heard horror stories of people buying repop tanks from India and also some who have had good results. Can anyone suggest a seller who does good work or someone who would have a used tank. Any information would be appreciated greatly. Regards, Dave.

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: New member to group.

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Welcome to the group Dave.

If you search this forum there are several threads discussing the merits or the Indian tanks from people who have tried them and this should give you plenty of insight.

The experience seems split (not a split in the tank). I bought one many years ago painted and chromed and it was very good and a fraction of the price of restoring the wrecked tank that I already had, just the plating bill would have been more than the Indian tank complete. Others have found that they don't always fit properly and may not be of the correct pattern. There is more than one source of these and possibly more than one manufacturer.

Regards Dave
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
AOMCC Member 3400

DaveCorey

Postby DaveCorey » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Thank you Dave. I will keep searching as I am sure there are some decent craftsmen in India who do a good replica tank for a 51 vh. Regards, Dave.

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:55 am

Welcome Dave.
Do you have a pic of your bike?
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby brenton.roy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

On the bright side, most '51 tanks were painted. If you go that way, you may be able to sort some of the issues with an Indian tank before painting.
Welcome to the forum.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

DaveCorey

Postby DaveCorey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:02 pm

Yes, I could buy the unpainted tank and do the mods to fit it and leak test before painting but I was hoping I could find a ready to go tank. I bought the bike with a 60's BSA tank on it. I thought someone in the club with a 51 vh might have a reference to a reputable India source. I will also need oil tank which I could modify and exhaust pipe and silencer which should be readily available in the UK.

GuyWalton

Postby GuyWalton » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:57 pm

I bought a tank for my bsa gold star . I bought it to tide me over whilst I got the original refurbed . I still have it on and the original is still on the shelf . The one I purchased was from https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/royalchopper ... pg=&_from= and fits perfect . No body believes me when i tell them it's an Indian re pop .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

DaveCorey

Postby DaveCorey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:38 am

Thank you Guy. I have see them on eBay along with a half dozen other sellers. I have made inquiries with 3 sellers and they want photos of original tank ( which I don't have ) and dimensions but I would think that anyone who builds tanks would have the sizes on file as they show photos on line of nicely painted tanks and just say red hunter but no year so the chance of one fitting is pretty slim. I would like to find someone who has bought a 1951 vh tank that fit and looked right and hopefully I could buy one from the same seller.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”