Snapped timing chain

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Snapped timing chain

Postby paul.wirdnam » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:22 am

I've only had one chain break on me...rear chain on a Matchless. It broke on the solid side of the split link (below). I hadn't realized that it had broken until I got home and investigate the occasional nasty noise coming from the back as it sometimes caught a tooth on the rear sprocket.

I spoke to John and Jane at Sprockets Unlimited and they said they always break there as its the weakest point of any chain with a split link. The solid side is always flexing slightly because the other side is not rigid. Makes sense.

Matchless Silver Hawk Rear Chain Split Link 20100906.jpg
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG

Paul

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:31 pm

you was very lucky it did not break it can make right mess of the chain guard like i did on the m1 motorway doing well over 70 m p h it made a right mess of the rear end

GuyWalton

Postby GuyWalton » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:46 pm

A few years ago a friend bought a Bimota , the one with the Suzuki engine , The bike was an ex demonstrator that had done a few miles think it used to go out when people dropped off bikes for service . Anyway they would service it and fit a new chain . He made it about 15 miles before the chain let loose . It wrapped itself around the front sprocket and totally destroyed the engine he wasnt badly hurt but whilst waiting for pick up found the link on the road . Un riveted . It cost them a new bike so that he didnt spread the word about what they had done .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:20 am

if the loose side link is tight on the pins ,there will be no flexing.....so regular replacement of the link with a new quality part will obviate the failures.....the problem with bicycle chain size is most of whats sold is cheap rubbish ,suitable only for kids bikes,and its quite difficult to obtain a quality chain .

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:34 am

IF there's any friction in the pins (and there usually is under load,) the link will only take that load on the fixed side. I've always thought of it as only a tension issue but that's not the case. The ARIEL set up has a less than ideal number of teeth, which accentuates the problem.. Generally it's up to the job, but the later Matchless/AJS chain would be an improve. Nev

Return to “A Bad thing happened to my Ariel”