Sidecar mudguard fell off

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
adrian.hannam

Sidecar mudguard fell off

Postby adrian.hannam » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:29 am

Well, not the worst thing that has ever happened, and not really to the Ariel, but I lost the mudguard off my sidecar attached to the KG. Metal fatigue from vibration. Lucky I was riding last, someone could have been hurt. Looks like I will be learning how to fibreglass. The bracket needs a re-design.
Attachments
axle.JPG
bracket.JPG
guard.JPG
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Sidecar mudguard fell off

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:18 pm

HI you need to make it with two fixings like a stay coming off the upright and make fixing that's broken stronger so it got two fixings and it does not fiex around

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sidecar mudguard fell off

Postby nevhunter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:48 am

You need another stay from under the axle nut to triangulate it What happened there is pretty common. The guard is unsprung and is getting all of the road shocks. You can attach one directly to the side of the chair as was often done as an alternative method. When you do that your passenger can rest her arm on it comfortably when you are in motion. You just use 3 cylindrical pieces of wood of suitable length as spacers and bore a 5/16 th hole down the middle for a coach bolt and some reinforcing washers on the inside of the sidecar exterior wall.. Nev

Return to “A Bad thing happened to my Ariel”