Correct number plate for 4G

Singles, twins and fours.
Pete.Silson

Correct number plate for 4G

Postby Pete.Silson » Wed May 16, 2018 7:05 pm

DSCF1756.JPG

This is the number plate that came with my 1939 4G basket case. The rear mudguard appears to be original Ariel but the number plate doesn’t look like the drawing in the parts lists. Is this is a correct style plate for an Ariel of that era? Also what type of tail light should be fitted, the hole for the light is only ½” across?

Pete

paul_turner
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Correct number plate for 4G

Postby paul_turner » Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 pm

First question Pete, is your bike definitely 1939 ? if so you need a unique one year only number plate. Adrie degraff had made some don't know if he has any left . This number plate also has a unique light which Alan Moore has put a good article on this forum about how to convert a car one to a motorcycle one as when they are rarely available they command high prices. The plate you have is not Ariel as it should have an embossed line across the centre. I have both the plate and light and will try and post a picture to help.

alan.moore
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Pete
This is the article I did on the forum re the 1939 year specific numberplate and rear lamp

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4622

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

Pete.Silson

Postby Pete.Silson » Thu May 17, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies. I found article by Alan Moore very informative however I am not sure I would have the patience to build one from scratch like that.

The frame and engine I have are definitely 1939. The rear mudguard (pictured below) looks Ariel to me but the hole spacing doesn’t seem to match the 1939 torpedo number plate. The (wrong) number plate it came with was mounted on A/D in the picture although the top holes (A) are slightly off-centre so probably indicate that they were drilled at some later date to fit a replacement. The holes below (B) appear original to the mudguard but the 1939 torpedo light plate in Alan Moore’s posting should have a single bolt at the top not two. So I guess the rear mudguard is non-original as well.

Pete
Attachments
rear mudguard 1a.jpg

Return to “Four stroke”