sleeve gear bushs

Singles, twins and fours.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

sleeve gear bushs

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:02 pm

HI Can i replace mainshaft sleeve gear bushs without takeing the rear gearbox chain sprocket off can i just take off kickstart case off and undo the inner case and take all gears and mainshaft with inner case and replace mainshaft sleeve gear bushs with sleeve gear still in the gearbox thank you

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: sleeve gear bushs

Postby Mick D » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Hi

In theory you could but I'd estimate the chances of success as pretty low. The bushes are very thin walled and soft, without good access to a press and a mandrel you'll have a job pulling them in squarely. Once fitted you will probably have to ream them to suit the main shaft, again not easy in situ.
If you're diving that deep into the box you might as well remove it and make life easier for yourself - assembling the box is a doddle with the main shaft vertical

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:25 pm

Johnny:
I don't think you can replace the bushes without taking the sleeve gear out, but you can get the sleeve gear out without taking the gearbox shell out of the bike. (Take the cases/gears/shafts out from the kickstart side, take the primary side off completely and undo the gearbox sprocket nut - but if you're going to take the secondary chain off it's handy if you don't do it until after you've loosened the sprocket nut...)
(Mick - on a swing-arm single you've got to take the engine out first if you want to take the gearbox out of the bike completely.)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mick D » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Simon.Gardiner wrote:(Mick - on a swing-arm single you've got to take the engine out first if you want to take the gearbox out of the bike completely.)

Sorry, I didn't realise that was the case, thanks for putting me right - the box came out of my FH with no problem. I seem to remember I took the top bolt out that mounts the forward plate to the frame and rocked the engine forward but I'm pretty sure it would have come out without doing this.

Regards Mick

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:46 pm

HI i forgot to say its NH 350 1954 i did not want to take the box out i have look at trying to get box out but its looks a pain to do :?: :?:

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:53 pm

On the single the magneto plate across the top of the offside rear plate stops any useful jiggling of the engine - it is a pain if you don't want to touch the motor but at least it is possible to do a complete gearbox overhaul without taking the shell out of the frame (speaking from experience of replacing the sleeve-gear bearing and oil seal without taking the engine out...)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:30 pm

HI Simon i am going to get new bushes and make a mandrel to take them out and fit them in can i take the inner case with the gears on it in one go and fit it back as one go with the bike upright or will it not go or do i have to strip it off the inner case to get the gears and selector shafts in thank you

john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 pm

You will have to remove the main gear from the housing,...it may push thru the bearing ,if not be very careful not to brinnel the ball bearing,unless you are going to replace it.There is no way you can replace the bushes without removing the gear from the case.If the new bushes arent a tight fit in the sleeve,they will migrate one way or the other.,and likely will need a bit of reaming......dont fit these bushes any tighter than 004 clearance to the mainshaft.(this comes from the later Triumph manual),or you risk seizure.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Johnny:
I'd think that with the bike upright you'd have to assemble the shafts and gears in the case before putting any of the covers on ( I did the work on mine with the bike upright).

SG

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Thank you Simon looks like i am going to have some fun doing it wen i get the parts and make a tool to get the bushes out and in :?: :lol:
Last edited by JohnnyBeckett on Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Four stroke”