Hello New Forum member

Singles, twins and fours.
john.bebb

Re: Hello New Forum member

Postby john.bebb » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Hi mtang, - whilst you've got it in pieces... thoroughly recommend upgrading the electrics; -
A DECENT (12v 300W) alternator conversion; - suggest: https://ironhorsespares.co.uk/square-four-alternator/ beware of lesser alternatives!
Have the distributor modded c/o Kirby Rowbotham to remove the points & advance /retard: enquiries@kirbyrowbotham.com
& fit a Boyer Bransden electronic ignition: http://www.boyerbransden.com/
Such mods will enable you to see & be seen... & keep the motor running!
Should you require the machine to actually stop when you apply the brakes... please don't fit a disc 'cos they're so out of context...
... if you can get hold of one; - fit a Grimeca 230mm 4LS ~ looks the part, no mods to the forks required,
& exceedingly effective when correctly set up.
Cheers, John

graham brookbanks

Postby graham brookbanks » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:49 pm

I contacted Boyer Bransden about electronic ignition conversion, but it isn't available for my 1959 4G MkII. Any other suggestions?
Thanks

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 pm

try the classic car parts or tuning parts or EBAY they do electronic ignition and i think you will get one that will fit and have you been on to morgo about your oil pump i get my oil pumps direct from them :!:

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:02 pm

I second the suggestion of the 12 volt Iron Horse alternator. It looks almost identical to the original dynamo. For info., if you make this upgrade, you have to change to negative earth, and remove the bulb in the red spot ammeter.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:14 pm

Regarding electronic ignition, Powerspark sell a DK4 distributor, with clockwise rotation and electronic ignition built in. It comes in negative or positive earth options. The downside is that you will need to make two changes for it to work on a square four: firstly you need the square four helical gear on it, and second you need to fit the square four advance retard unit on it (or adapt the advance retard unit it comes with to give enough advance). This is what I did on my mark 1 and it works very well.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Return to “Four stroke”