Front wheel spindle wear.

Singles, twins and fours.
jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Front wheel spindle wear.

Postby jj.palmer » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:22 pm

Has anyone experienced a situation where the non brake side front wheel bearing inner race ie the one that is a sliding fit on the spindle and should not rotate, has, over a period of time started to rotate and wear the wheel spindle, see attached.

This had happened to my NH350 when I purchased it some years ago, the spindle was so badly worn that there was .100 inch (0.25 mm) movement at the outside diameter of the wheel. I fitted a new spindle and bearing and modified the assembly such that it locked the inner race from rotating again.

I raise this question because it now seems that my KH500 is developing the same problem, it is not severe but I can feel a small movement at the outside diameter of the wheel which was not there before.

John P.
Attachments
Frontwheelbearingassy.jpg

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Front wheel spindle wear.

Postby nevhunter » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:56 pm

I've found the original rubber seal swells and tends to "friction" the race. I machine the Bronze threaded fitting to take a small conventional seal and all is well thereafter. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:00 pm

My first BSA A10 had beer cans wedged into the bearing from the outside to cure this.......I replaced the whole front forks and wheel with a later nacelle front end for $5 ...the guy threw in the light too,but wanted an extra $1 for the speedo.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:33 pm

I've had that problem, repeatedly. It seems to have stopped since I've been using brand-new cadmium plated spindles that are a light drive fit. They generally manage a couple of removals before the plating wears off ('cos cadmium ain't the best for that sort of thing). I've bought a copper-plating kit and sometime I'll do a couple with that and we'll see if it lasts any longer.
(OK, down the bunker, again - I know, loads of the rest of you do loads of miles and never get this problem, but it sure as heck happens to me even when I use brand-new bearings and check all the measurements for the fit beforehand.)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:03 am

Practically ALL Ariel wheel bearings are not tight on the axles. it's a bit of a worry that something may encourage them to turn on the axle rather than the bearing operate as it should. In practice I don't experience much trouble as once a load is on the thing it seems to do what it should. Not really that re assuring though is it? The brake plate side I lock up fairly tightly (once the axle flats are lined up right) and I tighten the lock nuts carefully when adjusting the play on the non chain side. I've also gone to the trouble of putting a special washer between the two lock nuts that fits the flats on the axle. THAT usually takes me abut 30 minutes to make, but worth it as it makes the adjustment more likely to stay where it is. Nev

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:20 pm

Thanks all, it is comforting to know that I am not the only one with this problem, it seems in this situation that friction is not always sufficient.
Will do has I did some years ago and fit a positive stop, see attachments.

John P.
Attachments
Front wheeel bearing mod..jpg
S6006059.JPG
S6006122.JPG
S6006116.JPG
S6006114.JPG

jj.palmer
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:22 pm

One more pic.

John P.
Attachments
S6006108.JPG

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby GuyWalton » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:51 pm

well done looks great . I love home engineering .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:13 pm

HI John a great idea and nicely made i now know what to do if my front wheel goes the same way :)

Return to “Four stroke”