Lifting front end

Singles, twins and fours.
MauriceSanders

Lifting front end

Postby MauriceSanders » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:04 pm

Hi Everyone

Hope the Festive Season has gone well so far. Thoughts are now turning to motorcycles and I need to replace the oil seals in the forks of my 1948 NG. My first problem is getting the front end off the ground safely with no bench or lifting equipment other than a screw jack. Obviously lifting from as far to the front as possible is a good idea but that is the sump plate and I’m not sure this is a good place even with a piece of wood in the way. Further back seems to be close to the pivot point of the bike and seems inherently unstable.

I’m sure there is a sound procedure for this (and the rest of the process too) but I’m not sure what it is. Any help would be appreciated. And I believe I need at least one special tool?

Kind regards

Maurice Sanders

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Lifting front end

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:18 pm

HI DO what did I got a a bike Lift or jack off EBAY for £30 pounds to my door it is oblong and its got adjusters that looks like tops of a axle stand i did not use them i got a block of wood and cut a bit out wear the sump plate is then the rest of the wood rest on the frame each side that is how i lift my bikes and done my forks it is the best £30 i have spent :!: :?:

Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Paul Slootheer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:43 pm

JohnnyBeckett wrote:HI DO what did I got a a bike Lift or jack off EBAY for £30 pounds to my door it is oblong and its got adjusters that looks like tops of a axle stand i did not use them i got a block of wood and cut a bit out wear the sump plate is then the rest of the wood rest on the frame each side that is how i lift my bikes and done my forks it is the best £30 i have spent :!: :?:

Sounds good, any photographs?

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby will_curry » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:40 pm

I have a bar which fits through the sidecar fitting hole in the front engine plates.
Put the bike of the rear stand. If the stand and stops are worn
you may need to put some packing under the stand legs so that the back wheel doesn't
touch the ground when you jack up the front. Slacken off all the nuts and bolts before you
raise the jack. You won't need to raise the front very far.

The real struggle will be to undo the oil seal holders - there are a couple of threads
on this forum somewhere. The other fight will be to get the stanchions back up into
the top yoke through the headlamp brackets.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 pm

HI Paul i have not got a photograph of my bike on the lift but if you look at this EBAY number 391286756064 you will see one with a big bike on it its a lot more money but if you wait till after the new year they will go back down again just keep looking :!:

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:12 pm

Similar to Will's suggestion, fit stabilisers to keep it upright, the rope is to lock the steering, the G-clamps and lower blocks are adjusted to keep it steady as it is jacked. If I remember correctly the threaded bar and nuts are 16 mm off ebay, see pics.

John P.
Attachments
S6006055.JPG
S6006052.JPG
S6006050.JPG

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm

Take the tank off too,before you do anything....Safest way is to lift from above......surely there is an oak beam in the manor house or something similar that can take a couple of hundred pounds .

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:16 pm

The time you take to to do that you just have to put the lift under the bike and wind it up and wen i take the gearbox or the center stand off i take the rear wheel off and put it under the rear frame or swinging arm i have found it very useful for lots of jobs like removing my big v twin engine in and out :!:

admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:10 am

On the Rear stand.
Substantial, and shaped, block of wood under the front of the engine (shaped so it misses the sump and picks up the frame tubes and not the exhaust) and my car jack.
As long as you lift it centrally, then it will be stable (and it make take a couple of test lifts and moving the jack to get it perfect)

Not lost one yet.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:28 am

I use a small hydraulic bike lift, its handy and doesn't take-up half the workshop. The bike can also be wheeled about on it:

DSCN8685.JPG

There are attachments for straps but I find it extremely stable so don't always use them.

Be careful using large, high lifts like this:

Going-going.jpg

Particularly if the ground isn't level :o :

Gone.jpg

(Thankfully not my 1150 GS - I took this from a 'BMW GS' forum) ;) .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Return to “Four stroke”