Jammed Kickstart

Singles, twins and fours.
davemoore

Jammed Kickstart

Postby davemoore » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Hi I am a newbie here and have a 1955 Huntstman FH which I have owned for a couple of months. The kickstaret is jammed in the upper most position. Rather embarrising as I had just filled up with petrol and then couldnt start it. It is in neutral. Before I go in for the full spanner assult anyone got any pointers or suggestions?

Mick D
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Jammed Kickstart

Postby Mick D » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Hi

Is it jammed, (ie. you can't move it at all), or will it not engage, (ie. it moves down a little then jams)?

If the latter, put the bike into gear and roll it back a little to move the gears, then put it back into neutral and see if it engages. If it does you can continue to go through this process until you get bored of it and repair the kick start mechanism, (can be as simple as removing burrs from the teeth).

If it's totally jammed you will need to remove the gearbox outer cover and investigate, easy enough to do in situ.

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:46 pm

Dave:
I've got one that very occasionally does that, a quick firm kick (with the clutch in) frees it.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:19 pm

HI I do what simon says wen my kick start sometimes jams then it is ok i find it happens wen the bike has not been run for awhile once i run it its ok :!:

Return to “Four stroke”