Burman rebuild

Singles, twins and fours.
wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Burman rebuild

Postby wade.edwards » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:28 am

Currently rebuilding two pre 48 CP Burman boxes. I would like to make sure that the mainshaft seals will hold up for another 75 years.
Draganfly has no 3100C-39 oil seals. Also no 3636-52 oil seal housings nor the accompanying 3635-52 oil seals. Club spares the same.
Well, I can’t wait for put your name on the wait list lines. Got to get the job done soon.
Is there any assurance that the original seals will continue to do the job once the mainshafts are re-installed? Or is there a way to create a new oil seal? Probably an obvious answer here but I always appreciate good suggestions.

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Burman rebuild

Postby nevhunter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 am

Make a hardened sleeve for the new seal to run on as the soft one grooves fairly quickly if there's dust about. The old seals have all gone hard. Nev

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Wade,
Don't some Vincents use the CP box? I remember their club spares supply as being quite comprehensive. You could give them a try.
Regards, Chris
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:27 pm

Simply Bearings have over nine thousand listed on their website, more if you include their nitrile and Viton oil seals.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Seals ... index.html
Just search by size.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:13 pm

HI simply bearings are a good company know if you can get a modem oil seal the rubber is a lot better there was a company seal jet that made seals while you wait you just tell or show them what you need and they tell you what is best to use and make them they have made lots of different types and rare seals and mods for me but they are not near me now they used to have lots places all over i think they are just up north of england now if they were still near me i would use them all the time

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:50 pm

Good advise from all of you. Thank you. I do wish either Drags or Club spares would keep stock. Projects on hold :x

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:03 am

Turns out Vincent Comets used the CP and not the V twins.
Looking closer today at the existing seal I don’t see why a sealed bearing with the inside seal removed cannot be used. I must be missing something because no one is suggesting it. The original seal that goes outside of the bearing can also be replaced by a nitrile ring gasket.

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:04 am

skf.com/seals
® SKF, SEAL JET and ECOPUR are registered trademarks of the SKF Group.
© SKF Group 2018
Is this them?

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:23 am

Norton pre AMC boxes have no space whatever for a seal,and owners do use sealed bearings.....however ,the seals arent very substantial ,and dont last long........However ,Burman CP boxes use an odd bearing,which generally needs to be remanufactured aftermarket......Anyhoo ,Burman boxes do have some space for a seal ,so its not too difficult to fit one ,if you have a lathe ,and make a seal carrier,then a easily available seal can be used......By the way,Vincent Comets use BA boxes,and the Vincent Grey Flash used a Albion gearbox...a truly strange choice.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:46 pm

HI Andy i think SEAL JET was on their own years ago now they can be took over by S K F Group i will have to look into them wen i next go to the trade show i do not know if you can still go to them and get seals made while you Wait it would be good if you still con :?:

Return to “Four stroke”