VB600 technical information

Singles, twins and fours.
nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VB600 technical information

Postby nevhunter » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:16 am

Most VB's would have been for sidecar use in those times as the SV was still favoured for that by some, particularly in the 600 cc form. Most still favoured the rigid frame for sidecar work also but no doubt some were used for whatever you chose. Another factor is COST. The SV is cheaper and you wouldn't then go and order a costly suspension option on it generally.
Having said this I recall a near new M21 ex-police BSA I rode in the 60's that had the rear suspension (plunger ) frame which I had no desire to own (but I digress).
PS, It's quite likely that engine and frame are original and had the frame number obliterated for the reason stated. Nev

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:48 am

Hi Luiz,

Here is a link to a folder of photos of my 1950 plunger framed VB, taken today:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I do not know if it is "original" in all aspects; no doubt other more knowledgeable members of this forum could comment on this. The original Lucas horn was fixed on the left below the seat spring, but it was non-functional, so was replaced with the cheap and nasty one you can see.

Let me know if you want more detailed photos or a video of something.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Bevan

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi Bevan,
With that motor serial number, no panel in the tank and those rear mudguard stays I think your bike is a 1951 model.
Regards, Chris
P.S. Very nice looking bike!
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks Chris,
As I may have said in some other posting recently, it is the least powerful, but most enjoyable bike I've owned; just hearing it tick over always brings a smile:
https://youtu.be/yAPnvIEnypg

As you can see from the front plate, I imported it from the U.K. (about 18 months ago). I think someone said the model years changed around September, so perhaps my bike was produced late 1950 ?

Whatever, the case, I love it :)
Cheers,
Bevan

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:35 pm

Bevan,

Your bike left the factory on 12 October 1950 so is a very early 1951 model year bike.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

bevanclark
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby bevanclark » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:03 am

Hi Paul,
Thanks very much for that piece of info - very good to know, and amazing that you have such detailed factory records. I confess that I think you may have told me this last year, but I have now duly noted it down in my records to avoid further memory lapses :)

Hope you are keeping safe. Beautiful weather down here and very frustrating not to be allowed to ride.
Cheers, Bevan

LuizSpegiorin

Postby LuizSpegiorin » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:48 am

Thanks Simon. But I really don't need a certificate, since I'm not interested in changing its documents, or something related to it. I am just interested in its origin and history, and besides, if I have the right frame model (plunger), gearbox, and everything that could help me with its restoration.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:51 pm

Luiz:
A 'dating certificate' isn't just to validate/confirm a date, it lists ALL the details from the factory records including frame and engine numbers, gearbox details, any non-standard 'options' and who the machine was delivered to. (As well as the exact date it left the factory).
If you're interested in the history of your components it's the best way to start.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Return to “Four stroke”