Gearbox oil leak

Singles, twins and fours.
will_curry
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Gearbox oil leak

Postby will_curry » Tue May 26, 2020 9:08 pm

The only way I've found is to jar them off. Take the plug lead off the plug first.
The last thing you want is the thing to fire. Bend back the tabwasher. Put a
well-fitting spanner onto the first nut, wind the engine back up to compression
and wack the end of the spanner with a big hammer. This should shift the first nut.
Remove the tabwasher and repeat for the second. This will need a bit more effort
as the spring will be under compression . . .
. . . or use a windy-gun.

I think it's possible to get the gearbox out but there isn't much you can't do with
it still in the frame. I don't usually bother trying to get it out unless the engine is
going to come out too.

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue May 26, 2020 9:55 pm

As Will says, whack spanner really, really firmly with something very heavy (I prefer a big chunk of wood, or a really big carpenter's mallet, to a hammer - less easy to miss the mark!).
I find that the inertia of the flywheels is usually enough to get things moving.
And I also reckon you've got to take the engine out to get the gearbox out completely - I gave up (after much trial and error) on getting the gearbox out without dismantling the engine when I replaced the oil seal on the box in my '56 VH.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed May 27, 2020 12:21 pm

HI if you can get a impact gun they will come off easy that i what i do it not try and get a good fitting socket and a power bar a wack it with a club hammer but i find the impact gun the best way to undo tight nuts 8-) :D

GaryK

Postby GaryK » Wed May 27, 2020 6:41 pm

Ok thanks I will give it a go

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Wed May 27, 2020 7:52 pm

HI what i did was to get a socket that fits but it was to short and the shaft stuck out of the socket so i welded a socket on top of the socket so i can get a power bar on it and i put the rear brake on with the chain on to stop the sprocket moving i have just done my sprocket today like that 8-) :D

GaryK

Postby GaryK » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:59 pm

The shock treatment worked well thanks.
I can see the oil seal now. It looks like oil is getting past the seal and presumably it will leak more when the shaft is moving.
One of the blanking plugs is also weeping. Can these be removed and reseated easily?

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:53 pm

They are just a press fit, or at least the ones I have removed were. Not all that easy to remove without damaging if trying to lever it out, but where it is out of sight, I would suggest cleaning the area of all oil/grease, and then use a sealant (eg. silicon rubber) to make a thick bead around the edge. There is no appreciable pressure inside the gearbox, only the movement of the selector forks to push any oil out.
Others on this forum may have a more elegant solution to this problem!

GaryK

Postby GaryK » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:17 pm

The oil seal I have taken out of the gearbox is all rubber, but the oil seal on Draganfly web site seams to have a metal outer. Presumably it will fit OK into the oil seal holder I have?
Also the procket spacer is slightly worn were the old oil seal sat. But the other side of the spacer is as new. Can I just put the spacer in the other way with no problems? I know they are only £5 to buy, but why buy if you dont need.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:29 pm

HI that is the new type of seal now it fits in the metal ring ok that is the type i have just fitted and just turn the spacer round and that will ok :)

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:32 pm

So long as the dimensions are the same, either will do the job, although you might want to put a smear of silicon rubber on the outside of a metal outer seal. I have reversed the sprocket spacer in the past, and so long as the seal is new and the lip bears on the unworn part of the spacer, it should be OK. You might want to ensure the new bearing surface of the spacer is clean and unpitted before fitting.

Return to “Four stroke”