KH cylinder head

Singles, twins and fours.
kevinbowman

KH cylinder head

Postby kevinbowman » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 am

After having problems trying to seal the head gasket on my KH I striped the head and barrel to find out, one that the gasket I had been using was a patten one not having the sealing rings around the push rod holes (thanks to Paul Wirdham for the information) two that the head and barrel we not completely flat. I have now got the correct gasket thanks to club spares and the head and barrel have been surface ground the barrel needing 3 thou and the head needing 10 thou to get perfectly flat. Engine has been reassembled and ready to roll so the big question is at what miles to retighten the head and how many times before the gasket is fully compressed ?. Any replies gratefully received as I don't want to end up in the same position with a leaking head gasket. Kevin Bowman.

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: KH cylinder head

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:13 pm

What material is your head gasket? I am still using NOS copper asbestos ones so I don't know what the Club ones are made from.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

kevinbowman

Re: KH cylinder head

Postby kevinbowman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 am

Thanks for the reply Paul, the gasket is an asbestos type one it has the name Payen on it.

Return to “Four stroke”