NH tele fork oil seal refitting

Singles, twins and fours.
BobHammond

NH tele fork oil seal refitting

Postby BobHammond » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am

Hi,
Looking for advice please on refitting the front fork oil seals on my 1946 NH. Draganfly supplied me with new seals which have an o/d of 46.6mm. Oil seal holder has a diameter of 44.9mm.
Draganfly confirm I have the correct parts, and admit they are a "very tight fit" . Already ruined one seal trying to drift in with a scrap piece of pipe, and then tried locating the other by screwing down the forkleg onto the seal. Both failed miserably. Drag's kindly agreed to send me a new pair of seal free of charge. But still have no idea how I can refit them.

Other than using a press (which i don't own) with a mandrel of exactly 46.6mm any ideas please on locating them in a home workshop ?

Any local workshops out there who can do this work ?

Bob Hammond
Herne Bay KENT England

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: NH tele fork oil seal refitting

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:43 am

They are solid rubber I think, how about heating up a bit to soften, and plenty grease to help it slip in

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:11 pm

TRY USING SILICONE SPRAY ON IT :!: BUT DO NOT USE WD 40 ON THE RUBBER IT MAKES IT SWELL UP :!:

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:17 am

I've never used the ORIGINAL type. I've always fitted a conventional modern fork seal, the only issue being sealing the threads and a need to polish the rusted section of the stauncheon carefully so it lasts longer I've been a bit lazy with forks and as yet never modified any but thought of it often. IF I lived just down the road from David A instead of a day's driving away things would be different.
I've experienced a few instances of fork bottoming out on the VCH which has had the most work of any tele fork Ariel I have but it was pretty severe road surface conditions. I just use pretty thick oil and all is nearly acceptable and I've fitted small drain screws to change it now and again. Getting a bit longer in the tooth now, when I get out on the VCH, I wonder what sort of IRON men rode that sort of thing in a scrambles. My Youngest son rides the latest Husqvarna "seriously" in extreme Enduro. Chalk and cheese. I thought I was" in it" with a Yamaha DT1 with GYT kit.Nev

BobHammond

Postby BobHammond » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks for your comments.
I have entrusted the refitting of the seals to a local guy advertising in VMCC Journal who has a press.

Bob

Return to “Four stroke”