stop light spring

Singles, twins and fours.
FrankBeevers

stop light spring

Postby FrankBeevers » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 pm

I'm finishing off a restoration of a 1957 Huntmaster and have a problem with the small spring which connects the stop switch to the brake mechanism. The problem is, I don't have one. I ordered one from Drags and it is completely useless. Far, far too thick and very short. Is there a source for this spring or do I have to wind my own using the lathe? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Frank

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: stop light spring

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Useless how, Frank?? They don't look too bad in the illustration.
I seem to find, these days, few springs fit as I want them to and I usually 'adjust' for length/tension by making small hooks or loops from thin welding rod and using these to attach to any convenient point....

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

FrankBeevers

Re: stop light spring

Postby FrankBeevers » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:12 pm

Thanks for the reply, Simon. Useless in that it was too thick and I could hardly stretch it at all - almost solid. Also far too short to reach. I've been toying with the idea of making a fitting from 4ba rod with a turnbuckle in the middle to allow for fine adjustment. I'm being lazy; I've got the gear to do it, including a left handed 4 ba tap and die, but before putting myself about I was looking for an off the shelf spring to preserve the original appearance. (and to preserve my laziness)

Return to “Four stroke”