Oil Leaks - Singles

Singles, twins and fours.
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Oil Leaks - Singles

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:14 pm

I picked up quite a few original Ariel singles gasket sets back in the 1970s. They've all got a very rigid paper washer that I've always assumed to be (and used as) the one that goes behind the mag sprocket, on the armature shaft.
The one I'm just measuring is 1.110" OD , 0.462" ID and 0.017" thick (they're paper washers so I doubt if they're all identical to the last thou, I don't claim those sizes to be anything other than 'very close')
The ID is slightly too small for the shaft but it 'gives' and deforms - without tearing - to grip the shaft pretty tightly. with a slight outward-facing lip. The OD is smaller than the hole in the timing cover. The washer doesn't seem to seal anything - I've always thought it might be more effective as an oil spinner.
I use them because I've got them and I can't think of anything else to use them for. Neither have I ever found something in the gasket sets that would come close to fitting on the mag shaft. (But if anyone's got any better ideas I'd be very happy to hear them!)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

volker.halbach

Postby volker.halbach » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Thanks, Simon. My guess was that it is held down by the magneto to chaincase seal - but then you cannot adjust the timing chain without destroying the paper washer. I can think of only one difference it could make: It disintegrates, gets chewed up by the chain, and then blocks some oil way.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:13 pm

Volker - mine have never disintegrated, broken up or deteriorated in any way, but they are original Ariel, whatever they are!
(And I don't think I go out of my way to replace them, unless I'm taking a magneto off, which doesn't happen that often - I usually leave then to 'get on with it' :D )
SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

volker.halbach

Postby volker.halbach » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:34 pm

I don't have too much confidence in my home made gaskets. Anyway, I think I put everything together without that washer. But thanks for describing the washer, Simon!

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:21 pm

Pics of the breather installation I have in mind
download/file.php?mode=view&id=25621
download/file.php?mode=view&id=25620
Attachments
20200816_092013.jpg
20200816_091914_mfnr.jpg

Return to “Four stroke”