KH 500 rocker oil feed

Singles, twins and fours.
kevinbowman

KH 500 rocker oil feed

Postby kevinbowman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:19 am

Having a bad time with my 1951 KH (cast iron head),I am trying to get the rocker oil feed banjos oil tight I have tried fibre washers ,copper washers then doughty washers all without any success. The next step was to remove the feed complete and make sure that the banjos were flat on the faces which I did on a piece of glass with very fine wet and dry next was new copper washers and new nuts from Dragonfly. The bike was the run with the tank removed so I could observe and yes its still leaking, I am now looking for any advice as to what action to try next surely somebody in the club has had this problem. Also another question are the composite head gaskets reusable I know the head and barrel are perfectly flat as they have been surface ground the gasket in question is a Payen from club spares and only been on for about 150 miles. Thanks in advance for any replies Kevin Bowman.
Last edited by kevinbowman on Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: KH 500 stanchions

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:36 am

You might want to change the title Kevin?

Secondly, are you sure you are assembling the rocker shafts and banjos in the right sequence? I don't know much about the KH engine but on a single you must assemble the banjo to the rocker shaft and box before you fit the screw on the other end, otherwise it won't seal.

I struggled for months with this, because I didn't understand how the set up was supposed to be.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:07 am

Thanks for the reply Simon yes I have been tightening the nuts first and then the outer screws I even annealed the copper washers

daveleek

Re: KH 500 rocker oil feed

Postby daveleek » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:58 pm

Kevin , you might be aware of this , when the banjo bolts using copper washers are tightened , untighten them and retighten again , as after the initial tighten ,the copper relaxes thus losing tightness , if that fails , try aluminium washers , I have cured a few leaks on a mk2 using them . To anneal copper correctly it has to be at least cherry red , good luck

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:42 pm

kevinbowman wrote:Thanks for the reply Simon yes I have been tightening the nuts first and then the outer screws I even annealed the copper washers

I finally changed to aluminium sealing washers - seems to have done the trick on the W/NG.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

kevinbowman

Re: KH 500 rocker oil feed

Postby kevinbowman » Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Aluminium washers ordered will give them a try will post when fitted and give results

Return to “Four stroke”